PDA

View Full Version : Strange foot pain.

Dan Andrews
09-24-2010, 01:11 AM
For the past few months, every couple of weeks i get this pain in my foot, it can be either foot, it starts out painful but as a i walk and move around the pain diminishes. But then after 2 or 3 days the pain is completely gone and would never know its there. Ive looked at plantar facitis, but i don't think that's it, its always in a different spot somewhere on the bottom of my feet, sometimes there is two at once.

It is painful to walk around, it is such a strange and obscure injury, i cant figure out for the life of me what causes it. it is similar to having a painful bruise on the bottom of your foot, and it seems like it may be very slightly inflamed, no drastic swelling or anything.

If anyone has anything similar going on or a clue as to what it can be let me know.

Lewis Dunn
09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
If the pain were mostly under the ball of your foot, I'd suggest you at least start by googling "metatarsalgia." That may not help if the pain really moves all over the place, but it may give you a starting point.

Dan Andrews
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Yea, ive looked into that, right now i have the pain on the heel and the middle of the ball of my foot on my left foot, and a different spot on my heel of my right foot.

The thing that throws me for a loop is that it disappears in 2-3 days, It appears as though metatarsalgia and plantar facitis are both constant and dont really just magically go away.

Steven Low
09-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Again, I've posted this before wfs
http://www.yogatuneup.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/PF-PainAreas.jpg

PLantar fasciitis has variable pain distribution, and al oto f this has to do with how your individual foot mechanics are. Multiple spots of discomfort are not uncommon, but in only about 50% of the time do you get pain near the calcaneal tuberosity and even in that position its pretty variable.

I'd likely guess it's some form of mild PF at the moment that goes away and comes back but may develop chronically if you don't address it.

I would strongly suggest PNF stretching teh calves at least 5 minutes each (time can be spread out into multiple sets). If that helps with the pain, it's like PF.

If that's teh case I would start doing all of the soft tissue work located here wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Tim Crawford
09-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Again, I've posted this before wfs
http://www.yogatuneup.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/PF-PainAreas.jpg

PLantar fasciitis has variable pain distribution, and al oto f this has to do with how your individual foot mechanics are. Multiple spots of discomfort are not uncommon, but in only about 50% of the time do you get pain near the calcaneal tuberosity and even in that position its pretty variable.

I'd likely guess it's some form of mild PF at the moment that goes away and comes back but may develop chronically if you don't address it.

I would strongly suggest PNF stretching teh calves at least 5 minutes each (time can be spread out into multiple sets). If that helps with the pain, it's like PF.

If that's teh case I would start doing all of the soft tissue work located here wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Steven~

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your posts, and hope you keep up the great advice.

My doc told me PF is a tug-of-war between tendons and ligaments, and stretching, sole inserts and some advil have been working great.

Dan Andrews
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Good stuff Steven, Ill start including the PNF stretching and some soft tissue work and see how it goes. I have vibrams but I don't wear them a ton, do you think wearing them more often may help ?

Steven Low
09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Possibly, but probably not right now.

Switching to VFFs and then overvoluming is the way people get messed up calves/PF in the first place becasue their muscles aren't used to the stresses of going barefoot (as opposed to the "soft casts" that are shoes which make your musclse atrophy).

It's generally not a good idea to switch to something new while you have concurrent pain, BUTTT it does work in some cases if you take it pretty easy. I won't say don't do it because it's possible that it can make it worse.....but it's also possible that it could help too.