PDA

View Full Version : Which Paleo Book?

Derek Gardner
09-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I would like to pick up a book to read on the Paleo. Which one would you recommend? I see several out there...

Thanks,

Derek

Michael Dries
09-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Primal blue print by mark sisson
the paleo solution by robb wolf
the paleo diet by cordain
the paleo diet for (endurance) athletes by cordain.

I just got done with wolf's book and it was very good. Where as Cordains book talks about the anthropology behind it all Wolf talks about the science and chemistry behind it and it's a much more holistic approach (diet, sleep, stress, activity,etc)

Derek Gardner
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I've seen all 3 books online.. but which one is best? Are they all quite similar? My local Chapters has The Paleo Diet instock right now. I was going to pick it up tonight unless somebody says not to and get one of the others.

Michael Dries
09-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I like the paleo solution more than the paleo diet... the paleo diet was much more scientific but a bit repetitive.

Andrew Thompson
09-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I have not read Paleo Solution yet.

I have read The Paleo Diet, and The Primal Blueprint.

I would definitely recommend The Primal Blueprint. It is more all-encompasing (diet, sleep, play, lifestyle, etc..). I really like the way Mark Sisson writes. It is clear, easy to understand, enjoyable, and written with bits of humor.

Timothy Gilday
09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
+1 on Primal Blueprint as well as his website. It's a great way to start.

Rene Forestier
09-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I would like to pick up a book to read on the Paleo. Which one would you recommend? I see several out there...

Thanks,

Derek

I would recommend that you read them all...they all have their diff takes.

If I had to recommend one, I would say Protein Power Life Plan by the Drs. Eades. Yes, their basis is Paleo.

I just received the Paleo Solution...it looks like a quick read...it incl several pages of primary scientific references that will keep you busy for a while.

Also, check out the Weston A. Price Foundation website...not really Paleo, but its a goldmine of nutritional info.

Check out the threads below.

Nobody has mentioned Primal Body, Primal Mind yet.

Andrew Thompson
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I look forward to reading The Paleo Solution. I have already heard a lot of great things about it.

Was Primal Body Primal Mind good?

David Meverden
09-16-2010, 06:56 PM
I didn't know Robb Wolf wrote a book! That's great!

I've the The Paleo Diet, and Paleo Diet for Athletes, and can say that the one for athletes is the better of the two for CFers, though it is ideally suited to endurance athletes. His first book revolves more around weight loss. If you want to get serious about endurance training, pick up Paleo for Athletes.

Based on what amazon says about Robb Wolfs book it looks like that would be even BETTER for CFers than the others, though I obviously haven't read it.

Craig Rogers
09-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I also subscribe to Robb Wolf's podcast. A weekly (prettu much) source of good information.

Blaine Cardinale
09-18-2010, 08:22 AM
I own both the Sisson's Primal Blueprint and Cordain's The Paleo Diet.

I enjoyed reading Sisson's more, but both were informative. Sisson's wasn't as dry and contained a lot more lifestyle (sleep, eat, work, play) advice than Cordain's (as previously mentioned). Truthfully though, you don't need either to learn how to eat/live paleo. There is plenty of free information available on the interwebs to glean from. I probably wasted a few dollars worth of buffalo burgers buying the paper books, and if I had only bought one it would be Primal Blueprint.

Michael Dries
09-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I didn't know Robb Wolf wrote a book! That's great!

I've the The Paleo Diet, and Paleo Diet for Athletes, and can say that the one for athletes is the better of the two for CFers, though it is ideally suited to endurance athletes. His first book revolves more around weight loss. If you want to get serious about endurance training, pick up Paleo for Athletes.

Based on what amazon says about Robb Wolfs book it looks like that would be even BETTER for CFers than the others, though I obviously haven't read it.

Actually after reading it (twice) the target audience is really banged up out of shape folks. There's a little bit about post workout nutrition but to be honest he's got more performance oriented information in his podcasts.

This is why i like the book, I can recommend it to non-crossfiter who just want to know more when they ask me how i lost 60 lbs in a year.

David Meverden
09-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Actually after reading it (twice) the target audience is really banged up out of shape folks. There's a little bit about post workout nutrition but to be honest he's got more performance oriented information in his podcasts.

This is why i like the book, I can recommend it to non-crossfiter who just want to know more when they ask me how i lost 60 lbs in a year.

Good to know, Michael.

And good point, Blaine. I change my vote to: get whatever book your library has available for free, then get the rest from free online resources (this board, Robb Wolfs site, etc).

Andrew Thompson
09-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I totally agree with gaining as much free information as possible from the internet, library, etc. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I also believe, though, that you must help support the people that are out there writing the books, doing the research, etc.. This is how these guys make their living, and if we want them to keep putting out great info (both the free stuff like podcasts and the not-free stuff like books) then they have to be able to make a living. Purchasing their pay material helps them to be able to do exactly this.

Just my two cents.

Jesse Gray
09-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Robb's new book is the way to go, after that primal blue print. Both of Cordain's books are getting a bit dated at this point although they are a good jumping off point for paleo.

Noah Martin
09-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Read robb's book yesterday... I need to read it again to get everything of what he was saying...

I found it interesting that not even a single mention of crossfit, unless I missed it, even aside from the wolf/crossfit falling out....

The book has load a of scientific info and I think anyone can benefit from simply jumping to his 30-day diet plan which looks rather simple and delicious and taking part....

If you want to be able to argue and prove to people why you should eat this way, read the book a few times and you'll be a pro.

David McGlame
09-19-2010, 07:49 AM
I have read both Paleo Diet, and Primal Blueprint. Both are good but if you had to pick one I would pick Primal blueprint because it reads better and adresses a whole life style. I will probably pick up Robb's book soon.

Liz Stanley
09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
I look forward to reading The Paleo Solution. I have already heard a lot of great things about it.

Was Primal Body Primal Mind good?

Yes, I've read it and it is very good.

Jason Peacock
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
After reading the more diet focused Paleo books, I'd also recommend Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" and Lorain Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth".

Especially Vegetarian Myth, both have lots of good information to reinforce and clarify the Paleo principles.

And I guess if you really want to be educated then you should read some of the enemy, like "The China Study", but be sure to google for more info after reading that book to learn about its shortcomings (which are numerous and chronic).

That would be good threadjack - what other books are recommended reading from the enemy? :p (the vegetarian/vegan bibles)

Eric DeAngelis
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
In order:

The Paleo Solution
The Paleo Diet
Primal Blueprint
Protien Power
Lights Out; Sugar, sleep, and survival
In the Defense of Food
Mike O'Connels (SP?) E-book on IF

:tmi:

Darryl Shaw
09-22-2010, 03:32 AM
After reading the more diet focused Paleo books, I'd also recommend Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" and Lorain Keith's "The Vegetarian Myth".

Especially Vegetarian Myth, both have lots of good information to reinforce and clarify the Paleo principles.

Ginny Messina RD, who is vegan and therefore presumably one of "the enemy" reviewed The Vegetarian Myth here. (http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/review-of-the-vegetarian-myth.html)

And I guess if you really want to be educated then you should read some of the enemy, like "The China Study", but be sure to google for more info after reading that book to learn about its shortcomings (which are numerous and chronic).

That would be good threadjack - what other books are recommended reading from the enemy? :p (the vegetarian/vegan bibles)

I'd recommend The New Becoming Vegetarian and/or Becoming Vegan by Vesanto Melina RD (www.nutrispeak.com). I consider them essential reading for anyone wanting to adopt a vegetarian/vegan or just a heavily plant based diet as they provide a clear explanation of the science without straying too far into animal rights issues. Plant Based Nutrition and Health by Stephen Walsh PhD is also worth reading although it isn't anywhere near as authoritative as Vesanto Melina's books.

As for websites I'd recommend Jack Norris RD's site www.veganhealth.org

*All links wfs*

Wayne Riddle
09-22-2010, 03:38 AM
I think more people should go the vegetarian/vegan route, leaves more meat for me.

Jason Peacock
09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the info!

Ginny Messina RD, who is vegan and therefore presumably one of "the enemy" reviewed The Vegetarian Myth here. (http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/09/review-of-the-vegetarian-myth.html)

Hmm, she's already lost me right at the beginning:

"while grains could be gathered, ground and consumed by our ancestors, dairy is 100% dependent on agriculture."

Cows were making milk long before agriculture was invented. Heck, long before people were drinking milk. They don't need us to survive.

And while grains could be gathered, they were not gathered in significant amounts until the agricultural revolution. :(

Bob Holman
09-23-2010, 06:00 AM
I have Mark Sisson's books, Lauren Cordain's, and Robb Wolf's. Having said that I don't think it necessary to get any books. Mark's site and Whole 9 Life's site has all the info you need to get started and a long ways down the road.

Dave Winchester
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I have Primal Blueprint and Robb Wolf's book, The Paleo Solution. Personally I've enjoyed Robb's book better. The writing style in the Primal Blueprint was just too "fruity" for me; the whole romanticized caveman life shtick is worn out and annoying.

Neal Carlson
09-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Iíve read the Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond, and The Paleo Diet by Cordain. I found The Paleo Diet to be more repetitious and with less information and explanation when compared to the Deadly Harvest. Which might be an advantage depending on what you want.

I donít think anyone mentioned it yet Ė gotta give a plug for Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Itís thick, and gets deep into scientific studies, but it blew my mind by explaining why what I thought about diet was completely wrong, or at best does not have scientific consensus.

Ian Peek
09-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Neanderthin - Ray Audette isn't too bad.

Darryl Shaw
09-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Iíve read the Deadly Harvest by Geoff Bond, and The Paleo Diet by Cordain. I found The Paleo Diet to be more repetitious and with less information and explanation when compared to the Deadly Harvest. Which might be an advantage depending on what you want.

I agree, Deadly Harvest is one of the best paleo diet books available. The author does make the same mistake as Cordain though when he says to avoid eating starchy root vegetables as paleo man ate lots of them as do the majority of the worlds extant hunter-gatherers.

I donít think anyone mentioned it yet Ė gotta give a plug for Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. Itís thick, and gets deep into scientific studies, but it blew my mind by explaining why what I thought about diet was completely wrong, or at best does not have scientific consensus.

This is still my favourite quote about Taubes and GCBC -

"The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, the more I think Taubes is a supercilious ignorant twat. he's got literally EVERYTHING wrong and anybody relying on 1930's textbooks to make a point is just too stupid to deal with." - Lyle McDonald. (http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showpost.php?p=6494&postcount=77) (wfs)

Wayne Riddle
09-25-2010, 03:43 AM
The more I read of Good Calories, Bad Calories, the more I think Taubes is a supercilious ignorant twat." - Lyle McDonald.

Funny thing is I think the same thing about Lyle and some of the comments he makes too.

"Lyle can stick with his ideas, Im going to stick with mine--he is trying to build 175lb "Marky Marks", and Im trying to build 275lb Markus Ruhls". -Dante "DoggCrapp" Trudel

Darryl Shaw
09-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Funny thing is I think the same thing about Lyle and some of the comments he makes too.

"Lyle can stick with his ideas, Im going to stick with mine--he is trying to build 175lb "Marky Marks", and Im trying to build 275lb Markus Ruhls". -Dante "DoggCrapp" Trudel

The problem with that quote is that it's genes not diet that determines who is going to become a "Marky Mark" or a Markus Ruhl.

Jason Ashman
09-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Speaking of Paleo Nutrition and whatnot, would anyone know where the Crossfit Nutrition Seminars went from the Specialty Certs Page. It was listed as coming soon, then just disappeared.

Looking for a status update as well.

As for the books....

Ive read most, with the exception of The Paleo Solution, which got delivered to my hometown 2300kms away in error.

If Robb gives 10% of the info he gives- and the way he gives it- in his podcasts in the book, it should easily be the best and most informative of the books.

Brian Bedell
09-25-2010, 09:23 AM
The problem with that quote is that it's genes not diet that determines who is going to become a "Marky Mark" or a Markus Ruhl.

Here we go!

Really DS, I believe in free speech and all and rarely if ever comment on your comments, but this is a thread about books. Sometimes it seems like you're trying too hard to stir the pot.

P.S. Marky Mark probably gets more action. (shrug)

PSS. Oh sorry, as this is a thread about books...I'm reading Wolf's book now. I'm not overly impressed really. Looks like it has a pretty good menu and shopping list in the back though to help people get started. Re-energized my commitment not to eat grains and dairy too. Worth a read.

Wayne Riddle
09-25-2010, 05:15 PM

To some extent, but if someone has the genes to be a "Markus Ruhl" but don't feed the machine they'll be a "Marky Mark".

Ian Nigh
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
...actually one of my favorite teachings from The Primal Blueprint is that genetic expression is largely a result of diet and lifestyle factors, and this is a little understood fact.

One of my favorite teachings from The Paleo Solution is that Nutrition "science" has little scientific basis (as in: no unifying theory, and alot of governmental BS).

Overall, I think Wolf's book is up to now the best paleo book I have read, in terms of references and concise, applicable information.

And yes, HG have always eaten SOME starchy tubers, when in season (by no means a staple of the diet, as most humans would rather have meat), and yes, eating a diet that is 50-75% grain derived carbohydrates will make you small, weak and sick in spite of your DNA, which of course, is there to help you thrive!

Darryl Shaw
09-27-2010, 05:34 AM
To some extent, but if someone has the genes to be a "Markus Ruhl" but don't feed the machine they'll be a "Marky Mark".

True but conversely if you have the genes to be a "Marky Mark" no amount of food or training will turn you into a "Markus "Ruhl".

Wayne Riddle
09-27-2010, 08:49 AM
True but conversely if you have the genes to be a "Marky Mark" no amount of food or training will turn you into a "Markus "Ruhl".

But you will be bigger and stronger then the average "marky mark" munching on his lettuce like a rabbit.

Ian Nigh
09-27-2010, 09:34 AM
This idea that your genes are some unalterable code that will inevitably define your life is ignorant, nearsighted and simplistic.
Research is showing that genetic expression is heavily influenced by nutrition, lifestyle factors and mental outlook. Your genes contain codes for millions of different outcomes, it is up to you which ones are expressed.

Just because diabetes runs in your family does not mean you will develop diabetes. You MAY be more likely to do so, especially if you follow the same lifestyle and nutritional patterns, but you could just as easily live 120 years with no health problems at all.

You guys should really read the books being discussed here, you may learn something!

Anna J Marsh
09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I completely agree. There is a whole science, called nutrigenomics, which investigates the influence of nutrition on genetic expression. You can now have your genes tested to see what you may be predisposed to and there is evidence to support nutritional preventitive strategies.

Wayne Riddle
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
This idea that your genes are some unalterable code that will inevitably define your life is ignorant, nearsighted and simplistic.
Research is showing that genetic expression is heavily influenced by nutrition, lifestyle factors and mental outlook. Your genes contain codes for millions of different outcomes, it is up to you which ones are expressed.

I agree with you to some extent, but even then I think you'll find that if you do some research that there are some limitations to what those three variables can actually cause to happen. genetically you'll hit a wall at some point. Some people this wall may be 3 feet high, others it may be 12 feet.

And being predisposed towards something like a disease and being born with a genetic disorder.

Steven Chicoine
09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
This is still my favorite quote about _____ and _____ -

"The more I read of ____________, the more I think ______ is a supercilious ignorant twat. (s)he's got literally EVERYTHING wrong and anybody relying on _____ textbooks to make a point is just too stupid to deal with." - ______.

Fill in the blanks. :D

Rob Samuels
09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Just finished the paleo solution and its a great book. Robb gives you just enough science to make sense without turning it into a medical journal. I reccomend it highly especially to those just starting out.

Chad Tabary
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
All awesome books suggested here. Not enough love given to Protein Power Lifeplan, I don't think. Robb outlined some of their ideas in his book also.

In other news, Mr. Tim Ferris posted a book excerpt of the Paleo Solution (the leaky gut section [also originally presented in Protein Power, I believe]) on his blog which has sparked 600 plus comments of the usual "religion" wars that are prompted by these discussions about diet. It's an interesting debate none the less, and I'm sure it's helping Wolf's book sales! ...which he deserves, imo ;)

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/#more-3109

John Swanson
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Ive read through the tread twice now. I currently am reading the Paleo for Endurance Athlete's. This book is a touch confusing to me.

I would like to know your opinion on what is the best book for an athlete to read. I want something that breaks down what I should be eating before and after games. I also want something that tells me what I should be eating when im at practice and training. All open for new ideas so I can have my best season thus far. Any help appreciated!!!:thanx: