PDA

View Full Version : Bone Scan and MRI today, now my shoulder is killing me

Elizabeth Hall
09-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I've laid off my shoulder for 3 weeks now. It was feeling pretty good, just the occasional pins and needles/tingling in my fingers. Today I had an MRI and Bone Scan. The MRI was w/o contrast and I laid there for about 20 min's with my arm straight at my side, palms facing my thighs. My shoulder started aching after about 10 min's and by the time I was done my whole hand was numb. I don't see the Ortho. for 2 more weeks, so won't know the results. I'm thinking maybe an impringment of some sort. I now have a dull ache, burning in the anterior shoulder and my elbow to fingers are still tingling!
Any ideas on why this position has caused me so much grief today?:(

Steven Low
09-08-2010, 06:13 AM
What position were you in?

Brachial plexus was probably impinged some..

Try massaging your upper pecs, and scalene muscles

Elizabeth Hall
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
What position were you in?

Brachial plexus was probably impinged some..

Try massaging your upper pecs, and scalene muscles

Arm was laying directly on my side, palm facing and touching my thigh. Arm supported with a pillow. I see my Ortho on Friday for the results!

Elizabeth Hall
09-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Steven, I think you hit the nail on the head. Had my ortho appt today, MRI and Bone Scan are fine. She is sending me to a Neurologist for a NCV and EMG. She is thinking it's steming from my brachial plexus!

Steven Low
09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, neurological things are tough to call sometimes.

Sometimes it's something really serious but more often than not it's something that can be easily corrected through soft tissue work or better posture or something.

My tendency is to ship someone off to a PT or chiro first. Most of them can tell ify ou have some signficant neurological impairment where you would need an MRI or neurologist to confirm something.... but if it's just something that needs tobe loosened up or better movement/better posture which is more often than not then you're already where you need to be.

Mark Kaelin
09-11-2010, 04:46 AM
Elizabeth,

I had symptoms like this for several years. Thanks to a great PT have been able to control it. He adjusted my first rib (several times) and then put me through alot of exercises to stretch the neck and shoulder. I also started yoga about 2 years ago and thats done alot to keep me mobile. Anyway good luck, this can be fixed you just need to find the right treatment!

Mark

Elizabeth Hall
09-11-2010, 05:45 AM
Thank you Mark and Steven! I was going to go to a chiro anyway to help me with my uneven hips coming out of a squat. Sometimes, when I simply walk my lower back with pop, so I know I need an adjustment. I have rounded shoulders and tight upper torso muscles also. I am going to the Mobility Cert. in November, sounds like I really need it!! My Ortho. said it was okay for me to start doing OH work again since laying off my arms for 4 weeks hasn't made it any better. Is this good advice?

Steven Low
09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I'd get yourself corrected before you do anything that may create any muscle imbalances... especially in upper body if your hips are misaligned

Elizabeth Hall
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I'd get yourself corrected before you do anything that may create any muscle imbalances... especially in upper body if your hips are misaligned

will do! Thanks again!