PDA

View Full Version : Am I benched completely?

Elizabeth Hall
08-18-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm very frustrated. Just dx with bicep tendonitis and shoulder calcification (not sure exactly where yet) and awaiting to see the ortho. surgeon. Am I completely benched from working out? Yesterday I did situps in which I used my arms and that did not fair well for my shoulder either:( I know, upper body is out as is rowing but I want to work out and do something!!

Thomas Green
08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
You could just run or bike hard for a couple months or so. Doesn't sound ideal, but trust me, it definitely beats sitting on the coach, even if it isn't what you want to do.

It'll be easier to know what upper body stuff you can do once we know the extent/location of the shoulder injury, but hang in there. People recover from this stuff eventually. We've all dealt with setbacks and having to take more time off than we'd like to.

Elizabeth Hall
08-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks. I'm hoping to see the doctor asap. I get worse everyday. Currently dealing with tingling in my pinky and ring finger as well. Injuries suck!

Thomas Green
08-18-2010, 08:27 PM
They do. But you just have to keep in mind that one day you'll be back in the game. I had to take almost 4 months off from lifting this winter. It was miserable. But now I'm stronger/look better than I ever have been, so looking back it it I feel kind silly for worrying so much. Sometimes taking time off is what the body needs.

Dane Thomas
08-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Rehab time is "working on weakness" time. Make a list of all of the things that you can still do. You will be surprised at how long the list can be if you be just a little creative. Walking, hiking, hill climbing, running, agility drills (footwork), balance work, stretching and other mobility work, swimming, deep water running, lunges, ab work, prone back extensions, airsquats, pistols, bridging... I'm getting tired just thinking about it! Prioritize it all according to your relative weaknesses, placing the most attention on the things that have the most room for improvement.

Extra time spent learning about and experimenting with nutritional strategies can also lay a stronger foundation for future progress.

All of us have hundreds of potentially positive things that we could be working on. Being injured takes some of the more obvious and fun options from us for awhile, but it need not stop the progress. Properly handled, it can even pave the way to greater overall progress in the long run.

Darla Powell
08-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Did you look to see if there is an ART practitioner in your area? Don't completely immobilize your shoulders. That's how I got the frozen shoulder. Stretch gently. Do some ROM and ice.

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Darla, There are a couple up in Raleigh at chiro offices. (about an hour away) I will look into it and see if my insurance will cover it, although with military insurance, I'm unsure:rolleyes:
I have in no way been immobilizing my shoulder. It's my dominant hand and I just started back at college, so I've been going about my daily activities. As the days go on, the tingling and numbness in my elbow and fingers becomes worse :ranting2:

Barry Leventhal
08-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Focus on grip strength..slice a hole in a tennis ball and squeeze 200 times daily...curl up a page from newspaper with hands do 10 x...squeeze sand....do the rehab for shoulders to get stronger..Avoid immobility...stretch shoulders..wall crawlers...Codman Exercises..
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/shoulder

Darla Powell
08-19-2010, 06:11 AM
I forgot to tell you that I noticed some progress in pain reduction when I starred Vit D supplementation also - about 6 months ago. Lately I've been taking 1500 mg of Bromelain as well and I've noticed a significant improvement since I've started that. I also don't bruise as easily or get as sore post WO. Just curious, are your shoulders rounded forward at all?

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I forgot to tell you that I noticed some progress in pain reduction when I starred Vit D supplementation also - about 6 months ago. Lately I've been taking 1500 mg of Bromelain as well and I've noticed a significant improvement since I've started that. I also don't bruise as easily or get as sore post WO. Just curious, are your shoulders rounded forward at all?

Very much so. I actually had started doing K. Starr's mobility stretching w/ lacrosse balls to open up my chest more. Thanks for the vit. D tip, I take Fish Oil and TriFlex but that is all right now.

Steven Low
08-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium supplementation..

Up the fish oil intake too. How much are you taking

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Vitamin D, calcium and magnesium supplementation..

Up the fish oil intake too. How much are you taking

6.8 grams of Omega 3's. How much Vit D and Magnesium should I take?

Steven Low
08-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Is that 6.8 EPA+DHA or 6.8 in total pill volume?

I'd start lower on the vit D (I'd start with anywhere from 2-5k and then see how you're feeling in a week)... unless you're outside a lot.

Magnesium at least 100% DV which is I beleive 400mg... y ou'll get others from food but if you're deficient then Mg supplementation should help (at least from what I've heard) with the calcification problem

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
6.8 of EPA/DHA daily