PDA

View Full Version : Bicep Tendinitis and calcification

Elizabeth Hall
08-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Just got back from the doctor. Seems I have bicep tendinitis and the X-ray should calcification. She is referring me to an Orthpedic Surgeron. I guess for the bicep tendinitis they will do a steroid injection. She didn't mention what they will do for the calcification. Anyone know? Until then, no overhead/bicep work :(

Elizabeth Hall
08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
If I could go back and edit..I would fix about 5 spelling errors in my original post!!:yikes:

Steven Low
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Calcification of the tendon? Or calcification of other soft tissues?

Pretty significant difference in how it's possibly treated..

Usuaully calcification of stuff that isn't supposed tobe calcified happens when there's a lot of inflammation in an area and usually local trauma or blood pooling.

May need to look into something like extracorporeal shockwave therapy. Anti-inflams will likely help.. depending on the circumstances physical therapy or soft tissue work. Eh. Depends on what your doc recommends.

Could also be a problem with low magnesium levels for example. If you don't supplement mag it may be a good idea just to see if that may help resolve it.

Kevin Moore
08-17-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't stress this enough.....ICE MASSAGE. Over the weekend I did a heavy dose of ice massaging on my forearm tendonitis and it is almost gone. Ive been battling this since february.

Elizabeth Hall
08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Calcification of the tendon? Or calcification of other soft tissues?

Pretty significant difference in how it's possibly treated..

Usuaully calcification of stuff that isn't supposed tobe calcified happens when there's a lot of inflammation in an area and usually local trauma or blood pooling.

May need to look into something like extracorporeal shockwave therapy. Anti-inflams will likely help.. depending on the circumstances physical therapy or soft tissue work. Eh. Depends on what your doc recommends.

Could also be a problem with low magnesium levels for example. If you don't supplement mag it may be a good idea just to see if that may help resolve it.

She said there was a mass on my shoulder that appears to be calcification. She circled it and is having the radiologist read it.

Darla Powell
08-18-2010, 04:00 AM
I have bicep tendinitis is both shoulders. I just had my first Active Release Therapy/ Myofascial session yesterday and they feel better already today. I have been battling it for 20 years and even had frozen shoulder 2 years ago. I have heard good things about the therapy. It might be worth checking out.

Steven Low
08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
She said there was a mass on my shoulder that appears to be calcification. She circled it and is having the radiologist read it.

hmm, it depends where it is if it's going to present significant problems

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
I have a call into the doctor to see what the radiologist report says. Still waiting on authorization to the Ortho.

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 09:47 AM
update, Radiologist says no calcification, says I have a "bony island" that is normal. Evidently Tricare is back logged 3 weeks even getting to authorize referrels, so I won't be seeing anyone anytime soon.

Darla Powell
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Good news!! I just came from my chiropractor and he remarked on hiw much better my shoulders feel and noticed my improved posture. Not bad for only 2 visits to ART. :pepper:

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Good news!! I just came from my chiropractor and he remarked on hiw much better my shoulders feel and noticed my improved posture. Not bad for only 2 visits to ART. :pepper:

whoo hooo! I was reading about bone islands. They are benign cartilage tumors. How weird!

Darla Powell
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
That is weird.

Steven Low
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Oh ok... no calcification that's good.

May just need some ART or PT.

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh ok... no calcification that's good.

May just need some ART or PT.

Are bone island's nothing to worry about?:confused:

Darla Powell
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Are bone island's nothing to worry about?:confused:

Never heard of them. Sounds like a Pirate reality show. 'Bone Island'.

Elizabeth Hall
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Never heard of them. Sounds like a Pirate reality show. 'Bone Island'.

ARRRR!

Justin McGinley
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
I'd also like to vote for possible ART treatment for the bicep tendinitis.

Good luck!

Steven Low
08-20-2010, 09:14 AM
If it's benign, no...

If it's malignant, yes.

Elizabeth Hall
08-20-2010, 10:34 AM
According to the Radiologist it's Benign.

On a side note: my elbow, ring and pinky finger are tingling and driving me NUTS! Any solutions of how to fix it? It's getting worse by the day.

Steven Low
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Nerve glides. Google that.. first link. Middle of the page.

Other stretching and soft tissue work may be useful. Cross friction massage tends to work well.

Elizabeth Hall
08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks Steven! I

I have an appt with the Ortho on Friday :)