PDA

View Full Version : puzzling back pain after improper stretch, advice please

Jordan K Smith
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
last thursday evening my back was a bit sore and my friend told me to lay on the ground, stomach down. standing over me, he grabbed my hands and slowly lifted me off the ground to a hyper-extended position and i immediately told him to stop cause it started to hurt. so 2 days later i started getting some pain 2/3 of the way up my back (2-3 inches above the halfway mark) on just one side of my spine (on the right hand side of my body). i cant tell of its the spine, or the side of the spine. i thought it felt like an out of place disc, but everything i read says that would be causing nerve pain which i am not experiencing. the best way i can describe it is something pushing on the vertebral column. the past 2 days i've sucked it up and done wod's anyway with no pain during or immediately after. in fact, i feel relief right after. but its really not getting better, and last night i found it difficult to get to sleep. i know it was stupid and no one is stretching me from now unless its me or a professional. i cant afford to go get x-rays, i am a full-time student with no insurance and i am still paying off my last doctor visits. what does it sound like to you guys? does it sound like something that will go away with rest, or should i stay active to keep it strong? should i continue hitting up wods if they don't hurt?

Jordan K Smith
08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
to be more specific, its about halfway up the thoracic region of the vertebral column. im hoping its just trauma to the surrounding tissue and will heal on its own! i really feel like a jack-*** on this one.

Steven Low
08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Likely an issue with a "stuck" rib or vertebral facet.

Hit up a chiro or PT ASAP... don't wanna wait too long otherwise it may require more therapy to fix as everything settles down the longer it takes to adjust

Jordan K Smith
08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Likely an issue with a "stuck" rib or vertebral facet.

Hit up a chiro or PT ASAP... don't wanna wait too long otherwise it may require more therapy to fix as everything settles down the longer it takes to adjust

thanks for the advice steven! i got in to see a pt yesterday, and after taking a look he agreed it was a facet in a bind. he worked on me for about 25 minutes then showed me some stretches to do at home. i have 2 sessions left, next one is tomorrow. he was familiar with crossfit and told me to stick to bodyweight wods for a few days. my back feels much better already. he was showing me how off-balance i was (one side higher than the other), my right foot was drastically lower than my left. that totally blew my mind. its much improved already, cant wait for my next 2 sessions.

Steven Low
08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
thanks for the advice steven! i got in to see a pt yesterday, and after taking a look he agreed it was a facet in a bind. he worked on me for about 25 minutes then showed me some stretches to do at home. i have 2 sessions left, next one is tomorrow. he was familiar with crossfit and told me to stick to bodyweight wods for a few days. my back feels much better already. he was showing me how off-balance i was (one side higher than the other), my right foot was drastically lower than my left. that totally blew my mind. its much improved already, cant wait for my next 2 sessions.
No problem man.. pretty easy if you know what to look for. Glad you're getting better.