PDA

View Full Version : Partially Torn Achillies Tendon

John Billone
08-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I was looking around and haven't found any posts on a "partially" torn achillies tendon. I was hoping someone might be able to help me out and let me know what to expect.

I was doing 24" box jumps in my five fingers. I jumped off the box and from the push off the floor I felt the pop in my right achillies. I toppled at that point. :censored:

The emergency room doctor last night told me it was still attached (squeezed by calf). I'm in a soft cast now with crutches waiting for tests (ultrasound) to be booked. The pain radiates from the tendon, to calf, to hamstring.

Lincoln Brigham
08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
I assume you passed the Thompson test then? and you are in an equine cast?

John Billone
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Not sure what a Thompson test is. The cast I was given is a hard plastic shell that inflates after you strap yourself in to immobilize your leg.

Ultrasound tech told me today the tendon was torn. Have to meet with a surgeon Monday to decide if they are going to operate or let it scar together.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, depends on the extent of the tearign if they'll repair...

Other good info here wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=60118

John Billone
08-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. Guess it's just a wait and see until Monday. Only part that bothers me is the lifestyle change. I enjoy going hard with Crossfit (maybe too much!). Dr. Internet says if you get surgery there is only %5 of reinjury as opposed to 40% if put in a boot... sigh!

Steven Low
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. Guess it's just a wait and see until Monday. Only part that bothers me is the lifestyle change. I enjoy going hard with Crossfit (maybe too much!). Dr. Internet says if you get surgery there is only %5 of reinjury as opposed to 40% if put in a boot... sigh!

Again, it depends on the damage...

John Billone
08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Update: Was advised it was complete tear but high enough on the tendon that they believe it will reconnect to the muscle. I've been fitted for an angled soft boot/cast with my toe pointed down for the first month. Angle will progressively move towards a 90 degree. No surgery. Doctor said his ability to stitch is equal to the body healing itself. He stated given time I will return to my previous levels of physical activity. If I push it... maybe not so much. The injury does not hurt at all now (unless I rock my toes back). Plenty of R & R coming my way. Good time to brush up on some Paleo recipes.

Steven Low
08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Update: Was advised it was complete tear but high enough on the tendon that they believe it will reconnect to the muscle. I've been fitted for an angled soft boot/cast with my toe pointed down for the first month. Angle will progressively move towards a 90 degree. No surgery. Doctor said his ability to stitch is equal to the body healing itself. He stated given time I will return to my previous levels of physical activity. If I push it... maybe not so much. The injury does not hurt at all now (unless I rock my toes back). Plenty of R & R coming my way. Good time to brush up on some Paleo recipes.
Sounds about right especially if it was more a muscular tear... it's like sewing wet noodles together if you had the surgery. Very hard... might as well let it scar over and hope for the best.

Pretty much follow docs orders. After you're out this is what type of stuff you're going to be looking at for rehab wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains/