PDA

View Full Version : Weak arm + numbness

Anderson Leaw
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
My right arm has been feeling really weak and I also feel numbness on my thumb and index finder. The numbness goes from my thumb and it follows in a line straight from the left side of my forearm up to my elbow.
I don't feel any numbness above the elbow but the right arm is extremely weak to the point where I can barely carry things that are over 10lbs.

Its been 16 days since it started. The first day, I couldnt even raise my arm above my head but there were some improvements within a few days.

I waited 1 week exactly to get it checked. I first went to a chiropractor who checked for joint and muscle damage. But after checking that I had full movements of wrist, elbow, shoulder without any pain and with the addition of my symptoms, he said that it was probably a pinched nerve. We did an x-ray of the neck area but he couldnt spot any trouble area.
I did a neck decompression machine for about 30min and he suggested I do 10 more sessions before getting a MRI.

I went home and talked to my friends and one set me up with a good friends of his for a free MRI the next day. We got the MRI and it showed no protrusions in any of the vertebrates, so again no damaged in the neck area. He sent my MRI to a specialized doctor who confirmed the diagnosis. This doctor then suggested that I wait another week to see if things improve. If they dont, for me to seek a neurologist to check for nerve damage.

It has been a week exactly since I got the MRI and my arm has showed no improvements. If anything the numbness in my thumb and index finger has intensified and my right arm is now visibly smaller than my left. Also when I try to flex my muscles, its still soft.

Has anyone in here has experienced anything like this? Would a neurologist would be the best option? I don't want to keep spending money and having each place send me to another place (although I wasn
t charged for the MRI which couldve cost $400+).

I'm pretty sure the "damage" occurred when I was doing overhead squats. I felt a really tight pressure around my elbow area, and I think (not 100%), that I felt the numbness as soon as I was done with the workout.

Any thoughts or input will be highly appreciated

Anderson Leaw
08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I want to add that I feel no pain whatsoever. It's just the weakness and numbness.

Brian Strump
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Go to the neurologist. They will likely do an EMG to get a better idea of nerve damage. There are a few other ideas(more serious), but think it's best for you to follow up with a neurologist very soon.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Sounds like impingement of your radial or medial nerve.

If it's on the back of the hand it's likely superficial radial.. if its on the front likely median.

If there's no structural damage up at the spine it's likely lower in the brachial plexus or other tight muscles in the axillary region, especially if you're getting radicular symptoms with weaknesses in the arm and hand.

See a neurologist obviously ASAP.

Also, nerve glides may help wfs
http://www.handhealthresources.com/Solutions%20Pages/Exercises.htm

I would ALSO strongly suggest massaging/loosening your scalene muscles (anterior and middle specifically) as brachial plexus runs through there. Also, loosen up all the muscles around the axillary area and arm as well,.... some point of contention would likely be:

pecs, lats, teres major, infraspinatus/teres minor, triceps (radial nerve runs through this area), biceps, pronator teres in the forearm, and really all of the extensors and forearm flexors as tightness there can impinge stuff.

Obviously this is an urgent problem because your muscles are atrophying quickly which means that there's likely some nerve damage already so you need to get it checked out ASAP...

Good luck, keep usupdated.

Emily Kleinman
06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
I know your injury is a couple of years old, but I have the EXACT same injury. I am 16 days out, can't bicep curl more than 3 lbs, numbness/ loss of sensation in my forearms and thumbs. Happened doing Nancy (that darn hag:) I have been to 2 docs. Both said it was the brachial plexus. It is not my neck. Anyhow, I must know...what ended up happening with your injury? How long was your recovery? Did you ever get function/feeling back?

thanks for any info (hope) you could offer me!

Emily

Carlos Eduardo Vera
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Same thing happened to me yet the numbness is in my forearm and outside part of my thumb. Emily, did you gain your strength back? How long did it take you to recover? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sean Rockett
09-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Same thing happened to me yet the numbness is in my forearm and outside part of my thumb. Emily, did you gain your strength back? How long did it take you to recover? Any advice would be much appreciated.

you could have a disc herniation at C5-6 please see someone, typically outer forearm thumb and index finger can be affected