PDA

View Full Version : The world would be a much better place without biceps

Jacob Burns
08-03-2010, 03:54 PM
May 2004: Playing hockey. Going to take slapshot, catch back of defenders legs. Rotational torque of body overcomes arm and forcefully straightens arm. Partial distal tear of right biceps tendon. Opt out of surgery due to wedding in 3 months. Don't want to be in a brace. Aggressive therapy. Arm heals well.

November 18, 2009: 5 pullups short of the end of a WOD. Pop in left bicep. Diagnosis, partial tear left biceps tendon. Daughters second birthday. Hit the ortho later that day. Knew if was a tear from previous experience. Another partial. Opt out of surgery as second daughter is due in 3 months, and had successful recovery from right partial tear. Month off and start training crossfit Jan 1 and start pullups again May 2010. Arm feels great.

August 3, 2010: Day starts with strength. 1 rep max dead lift. Looking for a 450ish pr. Second weighted set is 335. 5 reps pop with ease. Third set, 385, weight comes off the platform like butter. I remember thinking "should I rep this for 5 or go 3, 3 w/405 then singles". Right before lockout, pop in left bicep. Ruptured bicep. MRI thursday, Ortho Friday, minimum 4 months until I pick up a bar (with both hands). Crossfit endurance....here I come!!!

I'm done........f u biceps. I'm going to have you removed.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Ouch man. Maybe talk to your PT about why you're prone to these tears. There might be a physiological imbalance... or just horrible horrible luck.

Todd Crawford
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Seems you should avoid exercise 3 months before any major event in your life. What you got going on 3 months from now?

Morgan McGaha
08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Get robot arms. Chicks dig guys with robotic limbs. This guy is living proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRC3k3TT2Sg (meh. may not be WFS).

Justin Z. Smith
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm done........f u biceps. I'm going to have you removed.

Can I have them? A bicep transplant (not cheating right?) will help with my peaks.

Justin

Karin Franklin
08-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Morgan, "may not be wfs."
LOL. Best to be safe... but you're a sad individual if you're offended by that!

Jacob Burns
08-06-2010, 08:49 AM
I don't have anything 3 months from now.....I don't think.

Saw the ortho today and looked at the MRI. NO TEAR! The tendon connection point is solid. There was some blood which would be the result of a strain/sprain. 4-6 weeks of therapy to reduce swelling and improve flexibility. Basically I need to increase my ROM in my arms. Going to have some massage therapy too to hopefully lengthen the muscle as well. Doc also suggested wearing compression sleeves. Anyone use the skins ones? i was actually thinking of getting the CROM shirt.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't have anything 3 months from now.....I don't think.

Saw the ortho today and looked at the MRI. NO TEAR! The tendon connection point is solid. There was some blood which would be the result of a strain/sprain. 4-6 weeks of therapy to reduce swelling and improve flexibility. Basically I need to increase my ROM in my arms. Going to have some massage therapy too to hopefully lengthen the muscle as well. Doc also suggested wearing compression sleeves. Anyone use the skins ones? i was actually thinking of getting the CROM shirt.
Hahah, lucky...

This is what you're generally going to look for in the rehab of strain wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains

Listen to your PT though.

Compression sleeves only useful if here's swelling. make sure you take your fish oil and other anti-inflams + massage