PDA

View Full Version : supraspinatus tendon tears

Nathan Doud
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Does anyone have any expirence with supraspinatus tendon tear ( partial) I am working with a lady who has a partial tear about 5mm width and 6mm antroposterior region. My thoughts were to stay away from any pulling or any lateral abduction movements of the arm (tennis, golf, softball etc) but that controlled OH press should be fine if the weight is kept down, I was actually thinking it may be beneficial to the situation...

ANY IDEAS THOUGHTS???would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jamie J. Skibicki
08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I had a minor tear in my supraspinatus on Jan 19th. I did nothing with it for 2 weeks then did bent over rows, over press, bench and pull downs 1 handed with light weight. After 2 weeks of that, I started the diesel crew shoulder rehab. After 3 weeks of that, I kept doing it the rehab and started to slowly ramp the weights up.

I would add direct tricep work as my right tricep is redicuolusly weak right now.

Brian Strump
08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Keep in mind that Jamie is more than likely a hell of an athlete, with considerable muscle mass. There are too many factors to list as to why I wouldn't just follow his road. I also do not think that is what he was trying to say.
Has she tried any kind of rehab? Either way, I would take it slow, maybe try to incorporate some of some shoulder rehab into her warm-up. Do you have any thera-bands? A light dumbell(5-10lbs) How long has she had this injury? How old? Any diseases, obese? Diet?
It wouldn't hurt to also recommend some massage therapy if she has already tried PT, or chooses to forgo any rehab.

Nathan Doud
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Brian/Jamie,

Thanks for the info:

She is 40 ish
not overweight, but not super crossfitter either, she is pretty ne to crossfit but has been training other methods a lifetime.

no diesese
A softball player, Golf, lifelong sports is where I am thinking this originated from so its been a chonic progression.

I have focused her on SMC but have not tried thera bands, i was going to have her MFR (myofaciaus release) excuse my spelling.... using a roller then lacross ball.

I am thinking lets use presses to strengthen that area, but I do not want to incorporate further damage, I understand that that particulr tendon is used for lateral abduction of the arm, so presses should be good??

What are your thoughts on pull ups, pushups??. I, myself suffered from years of shoulder problems, expireicing ALOT of dislocations from sport. Once I focused on strength around the region the problems got WAY better.

Jamie J. Skibicki
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I think for the short term, all you really want to do is keep range of motion and mobility while it heals. After it heals, you want to strengthen the injury so you don't reinhure it in the short term. Once it is back then keep strengthening it and do normal training (though lower than before since som detraining will have set in)

Brian Strump
08-03-2010, 06:31 PM
How long has she had this tear? Has she done any rehab outside of what you are trying with her?

Tim Pedersen
08-03-2010, 07:15 PM
47 yrs young, had MRI 21 Aug 09
1. Partial tear involving the superior fibers of the subscapularis tendon
2. Biceps tendinopathy (focal splitting of bicep tendon)
3. Detached, nondisplaced tear of posterosuperior labrum @ 1 o'clock
4. Post-traumatic blunting and degeneration involving the anteroinferior labrum between 6 and 9 o'clock

stopped pullups, sub: ring rows, bent over rows, deadlifts - went light as bicep was consideration

stopped overhead pressing (thrusters, clean and jerk) sub: KB swings did not hurt it nor did handstand holds (HSPU were out)

two ortho's did a bunch of mobility drills with me and when I stated pain was "0" to very little" when being contorted, they both said hold on surgery until needed (big pain)

now I have achilles tear:( . . . . . could be worse

no severe pain since - now it is tear in achilles:(

Nathan Doud
08-04-2010, 08:08 AM
How long has she had this tear? Has she done any rehab outside of what you are trying with her?

Hi Brian,

the Shoulders been bothering her for a while, however she has just got her MRI, I will check with her and see exactly how long. I do know that before she got the MRI we were doing wods light and it did not seem to bother at times, no she has not tried rehab outside, but i am going to have her give it a go.

Any ideas?? thanks.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
I think for the short term, all you really want to do is keep range of motion and mobility while it heals. After it heals, you want to strengthen the injury so you don't reinhure it in the short term. Once it is back then keep strengthening it and do normal training (though lower than before since som detraining will have set in)

This is pretty much what you want to do...