PDA

View Full Version : Working out with tendonitis

Kevin Moore
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm curious to others thoughts on this. I have severe case of tendonitis in my upper right forearm. Ive had it since February. I can do bench, dips, and pullups with palms facing me. However, I am unable to do any sort of row or curl due to the intense pain. If you were in my shoes, would you continue to workout if you avoided the lifts that hurt, or would you hang it up for a long while and baby the area? I've been using ice dipping and fish oil as a means of treatment.

Thanks

Katherine Derbyshire
08-02-2010, 03:40 PM
If I had an injury that hadn't improved since February, I'd definitely change whatever I was doing. So if you've been just avoiding the lifts that hurt and it hasn't gotten better, it's time to either rest it completely and/or see a doctor about it.

Katherine

Kevin Moore
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
If I had an injury that hadn't improved since February, I'd definitely change whatever I was doing. So if you've been just avoiding the lifts that hurt and it hasn't gotten better, it's time to either rest it completely and/or see a doctor about it.

Katherine

I have seen a doctor. He did xrays and an mri. Says I have a severe case of tendonitis. There is no bone or tendon damage. They think I might have enter-section syndrom. Everything ive read on tendonitis surgery is bad (ie: it comes back, it comes back worse etc).

John Poulos
08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
I've seen many cases of elbow tendinitis last for several months. Sometimes as many as eight or nine months. If you can rest it, but if you're like most athletes and refuse to rest it. Just don't do anything that makes it hurt and it should slowly improve. One morning you'll wake up and It'll be gone.

Nick Hoffman
08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/ (wfs)

Do this. Helped me get rid of my bicep/ triceps tendonitis.

The total rest was a must. And be very careful when you start getting back to it, I went too hard and re-aggravated it and had to take the time off again. I ended up taking a whole month off from just how bad it had gotten.

Kevin Moore
08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I've been ice massaging like crazy and it's already working some. The combination of tissue massage + cold seems to be the way to go. There is severe muscle tightness around the area, which I believe henders recovery. I'll keep this ice massage blitz going for awhile and see where it takes me.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Definitely avoid anything that hurts and follow proper rehab protocol...

But yeah, feel free to workout (otherwise) and do ROM exercise with the tendonitis area in question.

Keeping blood flowing is always a good idea.

Darla Powell
08-10-2010, 04:04 AM
I've had some pretty good luck with Cissus.

Cissus Info (http://www.cissusrx.com/) wfs

Kevin Moore
08-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks! Does anyone here ice massage on a regular basis?

Darla Powell
08-14-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks! Does anyone here ice massage on a regular basis?

I should but I don't. Lately I have been using a lot of heat which is new. I read that it was helpful for chronic tendonitis or tendinosis.

Kevin Moore
08-14-2010, 06:42 AM
Have you checked out www.tendonitisexpert.com

He seems to know his stuff.

Steven Low
08-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm wary of stuff that makes you buy a product.

Especially when there is good quality free rehab advice

Darla Powell
08-14-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm wary of stuff that makes you buy a product.

Especially when there is good quality free rehab advice

This ^

Kevin Moore
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I thought the same thing, but he gives out a lot of free advice. My next plan of attack is a deep tissue massage on my forearms. The muscles around my knots (lumps) are extremely tight. Hopefully a professional can work out the stiffness and help me turn the corner.