PDA

View Full Version : Training and shoulder

Alasdair Walton
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Looking for a bit of advice/ info.

I've been diagnosed by the doctor with tendonitis in my left shoulder, rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. Pain is mostly localised to the front deltoid/ upper bicep area, and hurts only with pressing movements.

From experience can anyone advise whether doing non-pressing movements- squats, deadlifts etc- possibly even pull ups (not tried them yet since I injured my shoulder) will significantly lengthen recovery or are they ok to do while I wait for the tendonitis to heal?

I don't want to massively legthen recovery time, but not doing any weightlifting or even bodyweight excercises for the next few weeks is looking seriously depressing.:(

Thanks

Alasdair

Mike Mallory
07-31-2010, 11:35 AM
You can still get movement without high intensity......Getting tendonitis is the body's way of saying that you're doing too much anyway.

Take a few weeks and focus on your running form, or squats, or something that can give our shoulder some necessary healing time.

Definitely do some shoulder mob work to give the joint/tendons some space, and skip the anti-inflams in lieu of fish oil........

Darla Powell
07-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I have tendonitis in both shoulders and actually had frozen shoulder in my left. They started feeling way better when I began taking Vit D. Now I have also added fish oil. I actually rehabbed my left by doing pullups. Just take it slow. If it hurts, stop. Rest and ice a lot and assume an anti inflammatory diet.

Katherine Derbyshire
07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
I had similar symptoms in the right shoulder, aggravated by driving and computer use. In my experience, back squats were fine. Front squats and overhead presses of all kinds were bad. I didn't try deadlifts, KB swings, or pullups, as they seemed likely to be a bad idea.

I'd try warming up with whatever movement you're unsure about. If the warmup gives you any discomfort *at all,* don't try the movement in a WOD.

Katherine

Alasdair Walton
07-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the advice, one of the things I love about Crossfit is the community :)

Going to hit the gym tonight and give some pull ups and deadlifts a try, as well as squats, as they're not pressing movements.... will skip presses- overhead and bench- for a week or two... and start with lighter weights- which is an annoyance as I'd just built up to benching 190lbs for 5 reps and was sure I could do more... :(

Still it gives me a chance to work on my back squat :)

Tamara Cohen
08-01-2010, 06:26 AM

I've been diagnosed by the doctor with tendonitis in my left shoulder, rest, ice and anti-inflammatories. Pain is mostly localised to the front deltoid/ upper bicep area, and hurts only with pressing movements.

From experience can anyone advise whether doing non-pressing movements- squats, deadlifts etc- possibly even pull ups (not tried them yet since I injured my shoulder) will significantly lengthen recovery or are they ok to do while I wait for the tendonitis to heal?

I don't want to massively legthen recovery time, but not doing any weightlifting or even bodyweight excercises for the next few weeks is looking seriously depressing.:(

Thanks

Alasdair

I'm working around a suspected SLAP tear right now, which the doc first thought was just tendonitis. I can squat and deadlift without a problem. I do have to high bar for back squats because the low bar position bothers my shoulder. I held off on deads for the first few weeks, but it didn't end up bothering my shoulder at all. Stay away from anything that aggravates it and find a chiro who does Active Release Therapy. I now have enough of a buffer built up after 2 months that I can do band assisted pullups (which yes, is depressing to me), full pushups, presses/light push presses, and even KB swings.

Troy Peterson
08-05-2010, 01:38 PM
I am working through tendonitis of left shoulder (bicep tendon), diagnosed by PT, for past year on & off. I'll try and outline some points that I've learned.

What bothered the shoulder?
*Low bar back squat (same as Tamara)
*Snatches / OH squatting
*Some pressing movements
*Pullups (not chins...can do with no issues, even weighted)...including kipping. Maybe not during the WOD, but afterward I would notice

Why did I have this problem?
*Tightness in shoulders/lack of flexibility
*Posture (I sit at a desk for a living....this is bad for hamstrings, shoulders)
*I'm not young anymore (40)

What did I do/am I doing
*Limiting/avoiding movements that hurt. High bar back squat, no snatch/OH squat, etc.
*Rehab: some stretches my PT gave, recently started doing turkish getups to increase strength & mobility, also (thanks to K Starett) purchased a couple lacrosse balls for self massage thereapy. Someone earlier in this post mentioned ART...did some for a knee issue and need to get there for my shoulder.
*Diet: avoid the evil sugar/carbs. I'm OK, need to be better. I need to lay down the challenge in my box for 30 day Paleo to get me started.

Over the last 3-4 weeks of using lacrosse ball for warmup I've notice pretty dramatic improvement. Shoulder feeling better and pressing movements really don't hurt. My former press 1RM (like forever) was 150# (bw 200) and in the past 2 weeks I've done 1x160, 3x3x150, 3x5x145. I don't think it's coincidental that this has been since I found a lacrosse ball for some deep tissue work. Plenty of videos in CF Journal by K Star to give you some ideas.

Everyone will respond differently to different exercises....use your judgment as you work thru some things. I may have pushed a little too much which extended my time dealing with the injury. DON'T stop working out....there's always something you can do to keep in the game. I had a knee issue recently along with the shoulder but managed to find things to do (pain free) that at least kept me in some shape.

Darla Powell
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I am working through tendonitis of left shoulder (bicep tendon), diagnosed by PT, for past year on & off. I'll try and outline some points that I've learned.

What bothered the shoulder?
*Low bar back squat (same as Tamara)
*Snatches / OH squatting
*Some pressing movements
*Pullups (not chins...can do with no issues, even weighted)...including kipping. Maybe not during the WOD, but afterward I would notice

Why did I have this problem?
*Tightness in shoulders/lack of flexibility
*Posture (I sit at a desk for a living....this is bad for hamstrings, shoulders)
*I'm not young anymore (40)

What did I do/am I doing
*Limiting/avoiding movements that hurt. High bar back squat, no snatch/OH squat, etc.
*Rehab: some stretches my PT gave, recently started doing turkish getups to increase strength & mobility, also (thanks to K Starett) purchased a couple lacrosse balls for self massage thereapy. Someone earlier in this post mentioned ART...did some for a knee issue and need to get there for my shoulder.
*Diet: avoid the evil sugar/carbs. I'm OK, need to be better. I need to lay down the challenge in my box for 30 day Paleo to get me started.

Over the last 3-4 weeks of using lacrosse ball for warmup I've notice pretty dramatic improvement. Shoulder feeling better and pressing movements really don't hurt. My former press 1RM (like forever) was 150# (bw 200) and in the past 2 weeks I've done 1x160, 3x3x150, 3x5x145. I don't think it's coincidental that this has been since I found a lacrosse ball for some deep tissue work. Plenty of videos in CF Journal by K Star to give you some ideas.

Everyone will respond differently to different exercises....use your judgment as you work thru some things. I may have pushed a little too much which extended my time dealing with the injury. DON'T stop working out....there's always something you can do to keep in the game. I had a knee issue recently along with the shoulder but managed to find things to do (pain free) that at least kept me in some shape.

How are you using the Lacrosse ball? I have one too but I am just making stuff up.

Troy Peterson
08-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Here's a link to Kelly Starrett's CF Journal video:

Treating that Sticky Rib (http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/kstarr-2min-2.tpl#featureArticleTitle) WFS

There are a number of other videos he has that are shown in Related Articles. Or just do a search for Starrett and take some time to watch ones that may seem interesting.

$25 for CF Journal...well spent imo. I am also signed up for K Star's mobility course this fall. Looking forward to finding ways to keep on ticking & improving.

Anne Dayton
08-06-2010, 05:19 AM
Stay away from anything that aggravates it and find a chiro who does Active Release Therapy.

This

I had a rotator cuff injury three years ago, opted for a second opinion instead of surgery, and as luck would have it, found a PT who was certified for ART.

Darla Powell
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's a link to Kelly Starrett's CF Journal video:

Treating that Sticky Rib (http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/kstarr-2min-2.tpl#featureArticleTitle) WFS

There are a number of other videos he has that are shown in Related Articles. Or just do a search for Starrett and take some time to watch ones that may seem interesting.

$25 for CF Journal...well spent imo. I am also signed up for K Star's mobility course this fall. Looking forward to finding ways to keep on ticking & improving.

Cool. Thanks.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks

Alasdair

Sounds like long head biceps tendon..

Pretty much anything that doesn't hurt is fine.

But you need to do your proper rehab work...