PDA

View Full Version : mid-low back pain after failed jerk

Spencer James
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Attempting an 80kg jerk yesterday, I didn't sufficiently pressurize and it felt like my right lat area sort of crumpled under me as I started to push the weight up. I tried to correct it for a second, then just dumped the bar. There wasn't really any pain immediately, but later in the day I started to get a little bit of fairly acute pain in my middle-lower back, probably near L1-L2. It doesn't really hurt much - maybe a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10, and this is only when I am standing with my back arched if I sort of jut my stomach/chest out. Just sitting around, I can sense that it is a little tender, but it doesn't really hurt.

I looked up herniated disc symptoms, and I didn't think anything really matched my pain. But, it seems like the pain is in the spinal area, not in the periphery muscles.

Has anyone else experienced something like this, or does anyone have any suggestions on whether it might be cause for concern?

Thank you,

Spencer

Brent Eno
07-27-2010, 08:47 AM
You may have compressed your spine a little too much. Since a major muscle that plays a key role in overhead lifts completely gave out, your spine may have taken on more direct weight than it could handle. Just make sure you rest, stretch, and foam roll the area. Hope it heals up.

Mike Mallory
07-27-2010, 08:51 AM
the thoracolumbar junction is a common place for pain when you overextend in a jerk.

Generally speaking, people will not be able to keep a tight midline, and end up hinging at the first spot of flexibility~~~~~T12-L1 junction.

Even if you've got strong midline stabilty, pushing up towards your limits will often push you into disfunction if you're not carfeul with form.

Ice it up, let it rest, and keep the area moving lightly until it feels better, then check to see if you need any work with thoracic mobility/lumbar stability-

Spencer James
07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I'll skip a doctor appointment and focus on resting and ice and rolling instead.

Steven Low
07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
See if any of the mobilty work here helps. If it doesn, do it a lot.

wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

If there's pain then avoid those exercise(s) which cause it for now

Spencer James
07-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Steven - I'll try those movements out.

I noticed two things this morning (approximately 48 hours after the injury occurred): 1 - it seems to respond well (less pain) to heat (hot shower), but not so much with ice. This makes me think it might be more of a muscular issue? 2 - it is actually localized a little bit on the left side of the spine (the side that got hyperextended), which also makes me think (hope) that it isn't a disc issue. Is this logical? Do you know how pain in the thoracolumbar fascia usually manifests itself?

Steven Low
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
It's probably not a disc issue.

The fact that heat helps is generally a good sign.. probably muscular.

Take it day by day with the mobility work. If massage ehlps then try some out.

You can always hit up a doc if you are still unsure but as long as its resolving you should be OK...

Jordan K Smith
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
hey spencer, sounds a lot similar what i'm going through. have you recovered at this point? did you continue hitting up wods during? any days of bed rest? any advice or input you have is greatly appreciated. i am going to try steven's exercises posted on this thread in the mean time.

Spencer James
08-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey Jordan,

So it happened two weeks ago and there is still pain. I took it a little easier during the past two weeks but the main things that hurt it are pretty much anything where my back ends up being arched (like standing up straight, not hunched over). I actually went to the doctor on Monday and got it x-rayed, no signs of any damage fortunately so he figured it was just ligament and told me to go to a PT.

I suspect the PT will just tell me to do more of what Steven posted...but I'll prob check it out anyway.

I did a lot of research in the meantime, though. I think the big thing is just not doing things that cause it to hurt, but trying to keep the area somewhat active.

I don't know, man, I'm kinda glad I got the x-ray, just for peace of mind.

Spencer

Steven Low
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
It's possible it could be a stuck facet or rib.

Like this guy wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=60446

Both got it on the same type of injury (in retrospect).

It's possible they could miss it on the X-ray as well.

PT shoudl be able to find it though if that's the case. Good luck.