PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

Bill Gibson
07-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi all. I have chronically suffered from shin splints. I try not to run more than 15-20 miles a week. I have recently tried the exercises in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diDwjLN1UEU

I was wondering if anyone had anymore helpful tips or exercises for dealing with this problem. Thanks for any advice!

Brian Negrotto
07-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I use to suffer with shin splints big time. I tried all sorts of stuff. Usually what would happen was they would go away only if I completely took off, then I would start running again and they would be right back. Since around last November I started learning about POSE running and barefoot running and since then, I haven't had any problems at all, none!! I highly recommend it. Do the research and it will pay off.

Brett Gamble
07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi Bill,

I have used a frozen bottle of water as a foot rolling device. You simply freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over it as you sit at your desk or when you get 10 or 15 minutes spare time. This technique stretches the foot, the achilles, and ices the lower leg which I believe all add tension to the calves and shin. I have also found that stretching the upper leg, glutes and lower back can alleviate tension in the lower leg. Lastly, some foam roller exercises on the shins may assist you as well.

Jason Hough
07-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I use to suffer with shin splints big time. I tried all sorts of stuff. Usually what would happen was they would go away only if I completely took off, then I would start running again and they would be right back. Since around last November I started learning about POSE running and barefoot running and since then, I haven't had any problems at all, none!! I highly recommend it. Do the research and it will pay off.

That's pretty much my story too! No pain at all from my first 50 miler after switching to the POSE method.

Bill,
Check out Steven Low's extensive article on biomechanical issues (http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/) (WFS). It has a ton of good info and other links to drills and exercises.

Steven Low
07-20-2010, 07:19 PM
^^

Start there.

Take some notes... then post 'em up.

Bill Gibson
07-25-2010, 07:29 AM
I started today doing pose drills that are featured in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAQekF7gTU&feature=related

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjFZ2-5rkr4

I also tried today running barefoot around a local high school football field. I still felt some soreness, but I am hopeful that it will go away as this way my first time running barefoot.

I have not finished all of the bio mechanics main article, but I have read 4 of the newspaper articles referenced. The general points that I have gotten so far are:
-running injuries have been on the rise since 1972
-expensive running shoes haven't scientifically been proven to prevent injury
-the way your foot moves when you run barefoot is different than the way your foot moves in a shoe
-the most natural way to run is barefoot, and it has been shown that running barefoot may be the most effective way to prevent injury

More to come when I get a better grasp of the article

Davis Hart
07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
While not a panacea for all running injuries, barefoot can fix a lot of problems because you can't get away with poor form. My girlfriend and I both got Five Fingers and have loved them every day since. Be careful to take even longer than you might think to adjust to them - I have been off running for two week-long periods after being overeager. Search around on the boards for more info, but I think you may be on the right track.

Steven Low
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I started today doing pose drills that are featured in this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAQekF7gTU&feature=related

and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjFZ2-5rkr4

I also tried today running barefoot around a local high school football field. I still felt some soreness, but I am hopeful that it will go away as this way my first time running barefoot.

I have not finished all of the bio mechanics main article, but I have read 4 of the newspaper articles referenced. The general points that I have gotten so far are:
-running injuries have been on the rise since 1972
-expensive running shoes haven't scientifically been proven to prevent injury
-the way your foot moves when you run barefoot is different than the way your foot moves in a shoe
-the most natural way to run is barefoot, and it has been shown that running barefoot may be the most effective way to prevent injury

More to come when I get a better grasp of the article

Skip to page 4 and check out the "foot drills" those will give you the most bang for yoru buck right now.

But yeah, read everything.. should help you.

And focus on the good running form. That'st he biggest fix

Robbert Boukens
07-28-2010, 12:28 PM
I had a lower leg injury where the pain was similar to Shin Splints and Compartment syndrome.
I've seen a PT the last half year and been to the doctor several times
Both of them couldn't say exactly what it was and how to help me.

After looking in this thread however I found something about barefoot running and the foot drills. Well I suffice with saying with barefoot running I honestly don't have any pain. Not during the run or after that. It's amazing.
Now I only need to find some kind of footwear for in the winter ;)

Bill Gibson
07-31-2010, 01:54 PM
I've done the POSE drills and running barefoot 5-10 min about 3-4 (mostly before a WOD) times since I started reading this thread and I am starting to feel the effects. I am feeling muscles in my feet get sore that haven't gotten sore before, but the running pains are slowly going away. I am also enjoying barefoot running more with each barefoot run. I am very excited about this and I hope this trend continues.

Steven Low
08-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I had a lower leg injury where the pain was similar to Shin Splints and Compartment syndrome.
I've seen a PT the last half year and been to the doctor several times
Both of them couldn't say exactly what it was and how to help me.

After looking in this thread however I found something about barefoot running and the foot drills. Well I suffice with saying with barefoot running I honestly don't have any pain. Not during the run or after that. It's amazing.
Now I only need to find some kind of footwear for in the winter ;)

I've done the POSE drills and running barefoot 5-10 min about 3-4 (mostly before a WOD) times since I started reading this thread and I am starting to feel the effects. I am feeling muscles in my feet get sore that haven't gotten sore before, but the running pains are slowly going away. I am also enjoying barefoot running more with each barefoot run. I am very excited about this and I hope this trend continues.

Yes, it's pretty amazing how human modifications tend to mess things up. Shoes and gait is one of them.

this goes for processed food, shoes, chairs, light bulbs/night lighting, etc.