PDA

View Full Version : Knee situation: FUBAR

Morgan McGaha
06-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Well, this is gonna be a long post.

The Problem.

Back in late March, or early April, I was doing a 15 mile run. Afterwords, my right knee felt horrible. I did the whole RICE thing, and thought I was good. Being an enlightened college kid, I thought I could do heavy powerlifting and some crossfit while healing up my knee. Big mistake. It was not until about the beginning of May where I really started to feel it. I went from running 15 miles, to 10, 8, 5, 3, 1, now I can not even run a step without intense pain in my right knee. The lifting was affected too. I used to be able to do 255 lb 3x5 box squats, 3x3 285 squats, 5x5 315 sumo deadlift. Now, I cant do sh*t.

The Symptoms

I have gone to an orthopedic doctor, he said I have stress reactions in both knees, and may have a stress fracture in my right. Yet, I have been waiting impatiently for the people at the doctors office to schedule an MRI and bone scan of my knees. My right knee will give out periodically when I walk. I don't collapse in a dramatic fashion of anything, but its almost like my knee becomes rubber for a split second. I get pain on the medial sides of both my knees. The major pain come from my right kneecap. It seems like the inside of the knee cap is inflamed or something. Running, walking up/down stairs, kneeling, even the eliptical (sometimes) hurts. Right after I hurt it running, it felt like there was swelling inside my knee. i would feel resistance squatting, and it went away with ice and stretching. Now, if i do the same stretches, I am greeted with pain.

The History

I was born with fibular hemimelia on both my legs. I was lucky that it was not as severe as it could have been. My right leg is shorter than my left by about .25ish inches, which results in my L4, L5, S1 to be out of alignment. That I can deal with. I have a very minimal ACL and PCL on both knees, and if I remember right, patellar luxation; along with 4 toes on my right foot and ball and socket ankle joints.

What I want to know is if anyone has had any similar problems or remedies. I have yet to get my fat azz to try swimming. Due to not being able to basically workout, I have gained about 15 (maby 20) pounds of fat. Don't know if that adds to it. Anyways, any kind of suggestions on healing or working out or anything of that nature would be helpful. HELP ME!

Kevin Shaughnessy
06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the knee-giving-out-thing can be caused by an overstretched ligament.

Bryan Lara
06-26-2010, 02:15 PM
My knee gave out from a torn meniscus.

Steven Low
06-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Based on this I would've guessed 99% mensicus tear,

I have gone to an orthopedic doctor, he said I have stress reactions in both knees, and may have a stress fracture in my right. Yet, I have been waiting impatiently for the people at the doctors office to schedule an MRI and bone scan of my knees. My right knee will give out periodically when I walk. I don't collapse in a dramatic fashion of anything, but its almost like my knee becomes rubber for a split second. I get pain on the medial sides of both my knees. The major pain come from my right kneecap. It seems like the inside of the knee cap is inflamed or something. Running, walking up/down stairs, kneeling, even the eliptical (sometimes) hurts. Right after I hurt it running, it felt like there was swelling inside my knee. i would feel resistance squatting, and it went away with ice and stretching. Now, if i do the same stretches, I am greeted with pain. \

While ACL does present some similar symptoms (like the instability and giving out) usually meniscus is accompanied by locking of the knee or resistance in extension of the knee especially in the movements you described. Add to that the fact that the pain is medial in the joint it's a pretty easy call.

Doc shoulda hit you up with a mcmurray's or apley's test right away even before MRI.

So likely you're going to need surgery.

FIX YOUR DIET. The only reason people gain weight is because they don't change their eating habits from when they were exercising to not exercising.

Eat Paleo, eat healthy. Take your fish oil.

Morgan McGaha
06-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the advise Steven, I hope I dont have to get surgery or anything. Knee injuries suck nuts.