PDA

View Full Version : Poor hamstring recovery

James Orr
06-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone

I think I initially posted this in the wrong forum last night.

I've been having SUPER poor recovery localized to my hamstrings for about two weeks. Predominantly in the right, but present in both. They're tight, sore, and fatigue easily.

I started introducing heat this week in the form of the hot tub and foam rolling. The right is much more tender to the foam rolling than the left, but it's not excruciating.

After a few katas in karate last night, they felt like jelly. JUST my hamstrings, it's so weird. The kata I've been working is made up of slower, flowing movements that shift the weight a lot from one leg to another.

Do any of you guys have any ideas about what's going on or what I could do for recovery? Is this a RICE kind of thing?

Steven Low
06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
I posted in the other one too. Sounds like a strain to me. wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/01/on-muscle-strains/

James Orr
06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Steven! That seems spot on.

Stephen R. Lampl
07-05-2010, 09:31 PM
James,

Best of luck with your rehab. Just tore one of mine again!

Steven,

Great article! Any suggestions as to how to better prevent this from happening again (I think I've torn both R & L ones three times now - - one Level-2 tear 10 years ago, the rest all L-1)? This last one was definitely a result of my doing DLs with a bit too heavy a weight during a WOD, getting fatigued, and then letting my form go.

Thanks!

Steven Low
07-10-2010, 08:10 PM
James,

Best of luck with your rehab. Just tore one of mine again!

Steven,

Great article! Any suggestions as to how to better prevent this from happening again (I think I've torn both R & L ones three times now - - one Level-2 tear 10 years ago, the rest all L-1)? This last one was definitely a result of my doing DLs with a bit too heavy a weight during a WOD, getting fatigued, and then letting my form go.

Thanks!

High rep very light eccentrics once you're getting back into it...

I think I describe this in the article above.

Basically, in your lifts you're going to emphasize slow eccentric phase because it helps add resistance to damage + additional sarcomeres to the muscle.

Obviously, getting heavier as you get better... but yeah play it conservative.

Lots of risk factors you can avoid as described above.

Stephen R. Lampl
07-10-2010, 09:21 PM
High rep very light eccentrics once you're getting back into it...

I think I describe this in the article above.

Basically, in your lifts you're going to emphasize slow eccentric phase because it helps add resistance to damage + additional sarcomeres to the muscle.

Obviously, getting heavier as you get better... but yeah play it conservative.

Lots of risk factors you can avoid as described above.
Thanks, Steven. As always, your help is greatly appreciated. I fully understand the nature of the eccentric movement to be that which causes the failure of the muscle tissue or tendon. I've had several tendon ruptures, one certainly as a result of eccentric movement under load (radial bicep attachment - - full avulsion) doing preacher curls. But I have also had high serum uric acid levels (treated now with low-dose allopurinol).

Looks like the best Rx aside from being extremely conservative as you suggest, is to just take my time and work toward strengthening the involved movers to a much better level than I would normally consider.