PDA

View Full Version : Post Low Back Rehab Workout Routine?

David Luu
06-16-2010, 05:54 AM
I just got finished with 10 weeks of lower back rehab with a PT because of 5 years of cronic low back pain. I had damage to my QL and Spinal Erectors. I spent the entire 2 1/2 months only doing midline stabilization exercises and getting weekly dry needling treatments. Before the treatment, I was not doing much either because of the pain. Now I feel great, only a little stiffness in the morning and if i sit at my desk too long.

Anyone got some advice on a build my body back up routine? I've pretty much lost everything: cardio, strength, flexibility. My low back is still pretty weak and can't take much, so it's gonna need to be a very slow process. I still can't fully squat to below parallel without slightly rounding my back. I've only been doing random exercises and short cardio. I would love to follow a full program. I want to start SS, but I don't think I'm ready for it yet.

Mike Mallory
06-16-2010, 06:23 AM
starting strength is good, just keep the weight low, keep joint speeds lower, and gradually work up the weight.

Keep an eye on your form and stability, and don't progress beyond limitations in either.

Júlíus Magnússon
06-16-2010, 08:28 AM
Deadlifts. Definitely.

Depending on how weak you are, you might want to spend a couple of weeks doing 3 sets of 15+ reps, with SOLID form, two-three times a week, before you move onto Starting Strength with super conservative starting weights.

Steven Low
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Deadlifts. Definitely.

Depending on how weak you are, you might want to spend a couple of weeks doing 3 sets of 15+ reps, with SOLID form, two-three times a week, before you move onto Starting Strength with super conservative starting weights.

Definitely agree with this.

Start with higher reps and lower weight focusing SOLELY on keeping correct form/technique for at least 2-3 weeks.

Then start working back strength SLOWLY with a program like SS.