PDA

View Full Version : Indian clubs for shoulder mobility/injury

Tamara Cohen
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.indianclubs.com/ (WFS)

Has anyone used these? My shoulders have been pretty tight from the gymnastics I've been doing, and I have some rotator cuff pain going on right now from a clean I did last week. Another CFer recommended Indian Clubs.

Mike Mallory
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I love 'em, but I'd let things heal then save 'em for power moves........

They can really be hard on the shoulders if you accidentally lose form. Just the same as how skis magnify the force into the knees.

Tamara Cohen
06-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Thanks, Mike! Yeah, I am taking the weekend off and getting some ART done. I need to be better about stretching in general. My shoulder strength has gone up astronomically from gymnastics, but my shoulders definitely take a beating.

Steven Low
06-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Mobility work, ice if it helps, fish oil, self or professional massage. ART is good.

Where's the pain at? What shoulder articulations hurt?

Tamara Cohen
06-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Mobility work, ice if it helps, fish oil, self or professional massage. ART is good.

Where's the pain at? What shoulder articulations hurt?

Steven, it's the top to front part of my left shoulder. What hurts it the most is an across the chest motion like turning the steering wheel. Circles hurt it. It didn't hurt to power snatch yesterday, but it did hurt to bring the bar down from overhead, so I just dumped from overhead. Pullups/KTEs with a kip bother it. Going directly overhead doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

It happened last Monday on a 95 lb power clean. I didn't get that elbow around fast enough. But, I then did a WOD with power cleans at 75 lbs and kipping pullups, and it didn't bother me during the WOD. It started hurting after. I had ART done on Wednesday and Friday last week. The Friday session was right before the first WOD at Regionals, and I managed to PR my C&J at 135 lbs and hit 3 muscle ups and about 20 pullups during that WOD without pain...or maybe I just didn't notice because of the adrenaline, haha.

Steven Low
06-03-2010, 05:33 PM
May be biceps tendon.. can't really tell that much because your descriptions aren't very good :\

If you can you should get it checked by an orthopedic doc.

Tamara Cohen
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
May be biceps tendon.. can't really tell that much because your descriptions aren't very good :\

If you can you should get it checked by an orthopedic doc.

I try, I really do!

Thanks. Yeah, I know. We just spent $1000 on an MRI for my husband's knee. Fab.

I'm running a 5K tomorrow (running definitely doesn't bother it) but taking off from any upper body stuff until Monday. I'm going to keep icing it and I'll ask my husband when he can get me in with his orthopedic doc. Maybe we've finally met our deductible after that MRI and my son's broken leg, haha.