PDA

View Full Version : Separated Shoulder and recovery time.

Dom Fruci
05-24-2010, 08:05 AM
So about 4 weeks ago I separated my shoulder doing HSPU (fell down on my shoulder), but decided to wait until last week to go to the doctors because I had things I needed to do (i.e. Tough mudder race and Army training). Well when I went to the doctors last week they said it was a type 1 or 2 seperation and I would be good if I gave it the proper rest. I have a big summer with training which starts in 3 weeks and I need my shoulder to be 100%, but it feels like my shoulder has plateud in recovery. Any recommendations would be great because I need to pass an APFT right when I get to my training which consists of push-ups and I am having trouble doing them now!.

Justin Z. Smith
05-24-2010, 08:44 AM
So about 4 weeks ago I separated my shoulder doing HSPU (fell down on my shoulder), but decided to wait until last week to go to the doctors because I had things I needed to do (i.e. Tough mudder race and Army training). Well when I went to the doctors last week they said it was a type 1 or 2 seperation and I would be good if I gave it the proper rest. I have a big summer with training which starts in 3 weeks and I need my shoulder to be 100%,

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Justin

Steven Low
05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
WRote this up as a general on AC joint separation:

Basically, you can follow tendonitis protocol minus the exercise and stretching for now: wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

The AC joint connects scapular to the rest of the body through the clavicle. The joint is supposed to be immobile. Once it gets moving via sprain or tearing of the ligaments, it's very easy to get arthritis in the joint since the cartilage wears down pretty quickly.

Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps.

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.

Jae Lee
05-28-2010, 03:56 PM
I had a similar injury that happened in late February. I only started feeling 95% back to normal starting 2 weeks ago but that was because I didn't stop using it.

If you can, try not to do exercises that aggravate it but don't cease doing any and all movements because that will do your shoulder no good. It's unfortunate that push ups hurt your shoulder but if it hurts, stop doing it for a bit and see where you are in a few weeks. The wonderful thing about calisthenics is that it comes back quickly.