PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Pubalgia

Jim Colby
05-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I was just diagnosed with Athletic Pubalgia by Dr. Meyers in Philly. In my case it is a torn rectus abdominis. He said I would be a candidate for surgery but wanted to try physio/core strengthening before seeing him again in Sept. He's hoping that I can rehab without surgery.

I'm also hoping to forego the knife. It feels better than when I injured it in Feb and I've been able to maintain fitness by cycling and doing some running. It used to hurt when I started running, feel better during the run, and then be sore afterwards. Currently, it doesn't hurt as much and I am setting PRs again.

It does hurt when I do deep lunges on the right side and when I do lower ab work (i.e. L-sits, leg raises,etc.).

The Dr. said to get back into training again as long as I avoid exercises cause obvious pain to the injury. Most exercises are ok by this standard.

He also prescribed the CoreX core strengthening program under the supervision of a physiotherapist, who would make sure that I am doing the exercises properly when I begin the program.

Anyone have any experience with CoreX? Seems to be used a lot by professional athletes who are rehabbing after an injury or getting ready for the season.

Steven Low
05-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Buncha threads on hernias / this topic here if you wanna do a search.

Haven't heard of that program in particular though. Do you know any specifics?

Jim Colby
05-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Nope. I've read all the threads. The CoreX prgram is something used by the physiotherapist for the L.A. Lakers. All I know is that it involves band resistance exercises with a band connected to each leg and arm. Once the materials arrive in the mail and I get a chance to try it, I'll give you some feedback.

Justin Z. Smith
05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
It seems to be this http://www.corexrehab.com/ (safe for home, work, family, etc.), no?

Justin

Jim Colby
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
correct