PDA

View Full Version : Opinions sought about lag thread eye bolt disclaimers for human weight bearing

Seth Spritz
03-29-2010, 08:53 AM
I was looking at lag thread eye bolts at Lowes to install my rings into a couple of 2x6 ceiling studs and noticed that every single bolt, even the largest which was 7/16” x 5-1/4”, had the following disclaimer “Do NOT use for overhead lifting, support of human weight, athletic or playground equipment.” All of the bolts were labeled Stanley National.

Here is a link to a picture with specs of the largest bolt on the shelves at Lowes (WFS): http://www.hardwareandtools.com/7-16-By-5-1-4-Inch-Zinc-Lag-Screw-Eyes-N220-723-by-National-Stanley-Hardware-u661108.html

Opinions desired --- is Stanley covering itself for bungled installations or could there be some difference in the design of the threads or materials that would lead to failure of this bolt? I checked out the playground swing section of the store for mounting hardware but found nothing that would work for my application.

Ryan Webernick
03-29-2010, 09:20 AM
I can't speak for this exact eye bolt, as I don't recall the specific brand I used. I do know the ones I used had a similar disclaimer. The way I figured, if one was rated to 320 lbs, and I was basically using two to support my weight(one for each ring) I shouldn't have a problem.

I've had my rings up for around a year, and they haven't budged. I'm pretty sure I've seen other pics on here where people used these for hanging rings as well.

Eva Bigongiari
03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I used to have those same eye screws holding up my rings and my heavy bag in my garage. I noticed that the different directions that the rings would pull for exercises like ring pushups and body rows were causing the screws to turn. I started hearing loud creaking sounds during heavy bag training, only to look up and see the eye screw slowly turning itself out of the wood stringer on the ceiling. I never had the heavy bag or the rings come completely unscrewed, but I didn't want to take the chance. I switched all my hardware over to actual eye bolts (with a flat end that goes through the ceiling and is secured with a washer and nut on the attic side) Since I switched everything over I haven't noticed a single budge or turn in the eye bolts. You may be fine sticking with the eye screws, but personally I would err on the side of caution.

Matt Haxmeier
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I just figured like Ryan did. I'm using eye screws for my rings as well. I just put them both pointing the same direction so I can tell if they move at all. They haven't budged an inch for the six months I've had them up there.

I'm not doing a lot of inverted hanging stuff on mine though. Mostly dips/pullups/muscle ups so I figured I'd still have my feet to land on anyway. I can't get to the top of the studs so I didn't have much choice. If I did have a choice I'd do what Eva said.

Anyone know how to use bands with rings? i.e. where to hook them?

Seth Spritz
03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for the input so far. I could go up in the attic and run a bolt through but even with the "works" (double nut with a locknut and Loctite) it bugs me that you can't see if the nut is coming loose without going up in the attic.

Andrew Roden
03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Lag bolts are really for shear strength.

I invested in 8 inch structual screws. They are designed to hold thing up on the ceiling. Heads are rated for something ridiculous (600lbs or something) Six into a board into 6 ceiling joists. Pullup bar bolted to that.
used 2 each into some swing set attachments for the rings.
I weight 285 and so far so good with the kipping pullups and rings...

Let me know if you want photos...

Adam Dunn
03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Just ordered my pullup bar (RPG system) and haven't installed it yet, but planned on using lag bolts + washers to attach to my ceiling joists. Seems like the way to go to me and not really much harder than lag screws if you have access to the attic directly above where you're gonna hang.

Andrew Roden
03-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Here's a link to the fasteners I used.
http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/RSS_1_2_information.htm WFS

Todd Crawford
03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
When sizing for any load, remeber that "rated for 320 lb" is a static load, not 320 loads moving around which creates forces greater than that. Also check to see if there is a breaking load and a working load limit. If there is, you'll want to use the working load.

Seth Spritz
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Andrew, Adam & Todd … Thanks for the info. Andrew, I would definitely be interested in seeing pictures of your setup, but only if and when you have the time. I would especially like to see what kind of swing set hardware you found for your rings.

Andrew Roden
03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Photos of my ring and pullup mounts
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4998757&id=677948295 WFS

24 inches was too far apart for the rings for me hence the carabiners and bike lock to space them properly.

Seth Spritz
03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the pictures of your pullup bar and ring setups. That swing hardware looks bombproof. I saw something similar at Lowes but it used a bolt with the nut on the under surface of the hardware (not the attic side). Seems like it would take two people, one in the attic and another below, to tighten the nut.

I am just finishing remodeling my gym (moved the ceiling up from 90” to 105”) and my studs are also 24” on center. I'm attaching a picture of what the builder did with the studs where I will be hanging my rings. There are two perpendicular 2x4's fastened together between the 2x6 ceiling joists. Does your garage have an attic?

Andrew Roden
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Mine does but I didnt want to bother opening the ceiling. That looks like it will work great.

Mike Gin
03-31-2010, 11:21 AM
You can do something like this - I modified a setup I saw that someone did on the boards for a pullup bar. Works great! Tape is built up so that the straps don't move towards the center. Big fat anchor bolt supporting the wood (as well as some additional deck screws for backup).

Seth McCall
04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Andrew, What size screws did you use? I know you said they were 8in long...were they 3/8? Would like to do something like that myself. Great pics!

Louis H. Poulin II
04-05-2010, 11:31 AM
According to ASME, there is absolutely no doubt as to what to use. Anything used in overhead lifting has to be Grade 8 or better. If it's for personal use that's your choice. But if I have people paying me to use my equipment and a bolt that isn't ASME fails, I'm not going to stake my money it. Also, you can't buy this stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Seth Spritz
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks Louis. After I read your note, I started googling around for sellers of hardware that fit your description but it's turning into a time consuming affair. It would be great, if you already knew of a source for grade 8 or better ASME approved mounting hardware, if you could share that here.

I've been holding off installing my Lowes bought eye bolts because I would, in fact, feel more comfortable using something designed for this type of application.

Louis H. Poulin II
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Louis. After I read your note, I started googling around for sellers of hardware that fit your description but it's turning into a time consuming affair. It would be great, if you already knew of a source for grade 8 or better ASME approved mounting hardware, if you could share that here.

I've been holding off installing my Lowes bought eye bolts because I would, in fact, feel more comfortable using something designed for this type of application.

http://www.midstatesbolt.com/ (WFS) should be able to get anything you need there.

Scott Allen Hanson
04-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't like the idea of hanging upside down from a lag screw. I laid a 2x8 across the top of the ceiling joists, drilled holes through, and installed eye bolts through with nuts and large washers. Overkill, I'm sure, but easy and cheap.