PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain when going overhead

Antun Karlovac
12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi all,

I've hurt my shoulder for the first time. I think it happened during the jerk/L-pullup WOD, which I only did last week (I'm a little behind in my WODs). It didn't hurt after the WOD, so I did the clean-and-jerks the following day, and did very poorly. Then I left it for a few days and did Fran, getting a time over two minutes slower than last time. My right shoulder would hurt quite a lot every time I overheaded the bar. So I realized something was very wrong.

SYMPTOMS

Based on the shoulder movements here (http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html) (wfs), I think it's flexion that hurts, although I never actually perform that isolated movement when working out.
If I raise both arms vertically like I'm doing a press, my right shoulder makes a very audiable click. I don't recall it ever doing that before.
It doesn't really hurt when I'm not trying to lift something over my head. (i.e. I'm not in pain during the day).
The pain is on the front of the shoulder. But hard to pinpoint on a picture - any tips on how to do this?

I decided to take a week (well, at least 5 days) off training altogether over the Christmas break, I've picked up a few annoying minor dings and have been feeling run-down. Started icing the shoulder last night and am taking ibuprofen while I rest.

Any ideas on what this is - is it the impingement that I've been reading about? Should I be doing any exercises other than rest/ice/ibuprofen?

Thanks,

Antun

Steven Low
12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Could be impingement.

However, the fact that it's in the front makes me suspicious of some biceps tendon involvement or something else along those lines.

You don't have to google an anatomy picture if you can't figure it out. Just use a picture of a normal skin covered picture. That gives a general idea of where it is.

Any other exercises that hurt? Previuos injury history? Other information?

"rest/ice/ibuprofen?" ---> Rest, massage, ice, fish oil, no aggravating exercises, sleep, proper nutrition

For the massage feel around your muscles and make note on a picture which ones are tight and/or have trigger points as well. That can help figure out things also. Make sure to check all of the anterior upper arm muscles especially brachioradialis, biceps brachii, and coracobrachialis.

Antun Karlovac
12-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Steven,

You don't have to google an anatomy picture if you can't figure it out. Just use a picture of a normal skin covered picture. That gives a general idea of where it is.

What I meant was it's hard for me to pinpoint where it is. I'd need to pick up a weight and overhead a bunch of times it to determine exactly where the pain is. It is on the front of my shoulder, roughly here:

I realize that's probably a little vague. The odd thing is that the clicking seems to come from the back of my shoulder.

Any other exercises that hurt? Previuos injury history? Other information?

No other exercises hurt; pushups are fine. Just going overhead - jerks, thrusters. I once hurt my shoulder (10+ years) long ago. That was doing dumbell abductions. That time it hurt badly - even when I wasn't doing the exercise. (This time it only hurts when I lift the weight overhead). When I hurt it ages ago, it was because my shoulder had rolled forward through bad posture, and I had suddenly started putting heavy load on it again.

Make sure to check all of the anterior upper arm muscles especially brachioradialis, biceps brachii, and coracobrachialis.

I think you might be on to something. My right biceps *is* sore and tight. The last time I went to Jiu Jitsu, I've got my biceps pinched in a lock. That was the night before the Fran that made me realize that something was up. And I do recall getting my biceps caught in training a little while before too - maybe a day or two before the jerk/L-pullup workout.

That's the only muscle I feel noticeable tightness in.

So should I be icing the bicep instead?

Thanks,

Antun

Steven Low
12-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I'd reckon it's some irritation of the long heads of the biceps which runs up through the intertubercular groove where you circled on that picture.

Your biceps is extremely tight which is pulling and aggravating the tendon.

Basically, you're going to want to use:

1. Heat

2. Self massage to those 3 muscles I listed 3-5x per day 10-15 minutes each 5-6x a week to loosen it up. Or more if you can handle it.

3. Take fish oil if you're not already to help limit inflammation. 3-5g per day is probably fine. I've seen .5g/10lbs but you need to make sure you're taking enough vitamin K if you do this because of blood thinning.

4. Lay off that arm. Completely.

5. Get it moving as much as possible. Stretching is fine if it's not painful AND is improving your ROM. If not, just keep it moving a lot to keep it from retightening up.