PDA

View Full Version : 2 bulging disks and 1 cracked disk

Beth Rypins
12-05-2009, 09:47 PM
An overweight woman approached me recently with interest in training. A year ago she damaged the L1 2 and 3 while lifting a table. After weeks on her back she was finally able to sit again. She has gained a lot of weight, takes pain meds, and expressed interest in getting strong again.

What do you all say about training someone with these conditions in her spine?

Thanks, Beth

John Blount
12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, I would certainly get a physician to release her for "full duty" and make sure that she has signed some wavers.

But depending on how her recovery was she should be OK for training I would think. Bones break and heal all the time, yes the back is a bit tricky since it has so many nerves tied to it, but I broke L2 once upon a time and it healed up nicely. As strange as it is, the lifting doesn't bother me so much as just laying in bed trying to sleep.

And take it slow for sure, build up both her strength and confidence as well as your confidence in her.

Steven Low
12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
What he said above.

Check with the doc first though to see if anything is contraindicated.

Mike Mallory
12-06-2009, 05:30 PM
when in doubt......refer out

If you don't know the ins and outs of that condition I wouldn't take her on as a client

Brian Strump
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I agree with that was said above. Even if you are "familiar" with the condition, but not licensed to practice some type of medicine(M.D./P.T/D.C.) you should tell the patient that you would love to train them, and you can know people with similar conditions that make great changes, but for her health, and your liability you would not train them unless they see their doctor first. Sure, you may lose that athlete, but it's better than losing your entire business. A signed waiver is nice, however, it won't stop someone from a lawsuit, which will still cause you money to hire an attorney and other associated fees.

Beth Rypins
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
All great responses gentlemen. Thanks very much for chiming in. Beth