PDA

View Full Version : What WOD's Stress Your Back ??

Kevin Burns
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
My lowerback has always been a challenge but its maintainable. Some WOD combinations simply cause it to tighten up worse than others.

For me the bad combinations are anything where I'm pulling a barbell off the floor (cleans, snatches, deads) and wallball, slamball, or box jumps.

Combination's of any type of squat (goblet,oh) and kettlebell swings/snatches don't bother my back one bit. Seems like anything 2 things with a power/jerk movement in the WOD do it.

Going to do a round of Active Release therapy starting tomorrow and then try one of the "bad" workouts again to see if things change.

Allyson Dill
12-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I also find that cleans, deads, and snatches tend to bother my lower back, which is generally not a problem area for me. If cleans or snatches pop up in a WOD, I substitute them for the "hang" versions, which are a little more back-friendly.

Kevin Burns
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
That is a great idea. Didn't think of that !! Thanks!

Mike Mallory
12-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Almost every single exercise in Crossfit is going to 'stress the back'.........and any exercise is bad where you can't stabilize your low back!

You shouldn't hurt, and you shouldn't be pushing yourself to where you're backs locking down..........

1. Find out what's wrong with your back
2. Fix it
3. Lift strong and healthy

Robert D Taylor Jr
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree with Mike, however, I ignore my own advice. SDLHPs are the worst for me. I will hurt for days, I rarely do them. I can do swings generally, high rep deads and cleans shatter me. I use HPCs to little ill effect. My DL PR has gone down due to my lower back but I can do 3-5 rep sets just fine. In a MetCon, ouch.