PDA

View Full Version : Training with a bad Hamstring in ******ville

Joe Walker
11-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Love this board. I've Never commented but have benefited greatly from so many of you. Thanks for letting me gush for a minute.

Now...I have a Hamstring Injury(turkey bowl) my PT told me to stay off for 3-4 weeks. I'm not a great swimmer, but I've always used the pool to keep my cardio up and keep me moving through injuries.

If any of you have any thoughts on what I can do to supplement workouts besides 10 sets of cable chest fly's and max curls (seriously, it's like a casting call for MTV's Tool Academy) like the rest of the Donks in my gym, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Mallory
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
question to ask is, why did you get a hamstring injury?

weak lower abs?
Glutes not working right?
torqued pelvis?
poor ROM?

get to work on THAT during your stint off the hammie

Steven Low
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Rings for upper body work.

Umm, what kind of hamstring injury is it? Strain?

Joe Walker
12-05-2009, 08:20 PM
question to ask is, why did you get a hamstring injury?

weak lower abs?
Glutes not working right?
torqued pelvis?
poor ROM?

get to work on THAT during your stint off the hammie

Yeah Your right. Abs are pretty strong but you could put a check next to the last three. Been working on ROM for a solid week. Not sure what to do about any pelvis issue. Guess I'll have to go back to the PT for that...unless you had any thoughts.

Flexibility has never been my forte, but I'm really trying to be consistent with it.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Joe Walker
12-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Rings for upper body work.

Umm, what kind of hamstring injury is it? Strain?

It's a Bicepts femoris strain close but not including the tendon. Any thoughts?

I don't have access to rings...been doing a lot of pu's...but now my hands are pretty much open sores. they start bleeding almost immediately now. I'm gonna have to let them heal.

Hear I come hand bike and cable chest fly's for reps! This stinks

Steven Low
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
It's a Bicepts femoris strain close but not including the tendon. Any thoughts?

I don't have access to rings...been doing a lot of pu's...but now my hands are pretty much open sores. they start bleeding almost immediately now. I'm gonna have to let them heal.

Hear I come hand bike and cable chest fly's for reps! This stinks
Let it heal.

Keep up with the light stretching... until it feels better.

Then add in some light eccentric exercise with bands or ankle weights. Then progressively start working yourself up SLOWLY. Easy to reaggravate. Want to focus on low-moderate eccentric work to build up resistance to muscle damage.

DON'T take any anti-inflams like ibuprofen as they will inhibit healing.

Joe Walker
12-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Steven, will do. It's so annoying when you feel like your making good progress...oh well. Thanks again for your help.

Mike Onghena
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm in a similar situation. Hurt my hamstring on Dec 1. Chiro diagnosed as low severity level 2 strain. Bruising indicates some tearing.

I find that I am able to row about as well as I did before the injury. I need to start off a little slow on the rower to get things moving, but once I am warmed up its fine.