PDA

View Full Version : year old shoulder injury still here. any ideas?

Tommer Vardi
11-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Around 1 year ago I attempted a 1RM on the turkish get up (50Kg, 110# +-). On the way up I felt my right shoulder "give" and go from an active position to a more retracted position. I completed the rep but had a slight pain straight afterwards around the top most point of the shoulder blade (see pic). I waited around 1 week to see if it would improve but it didn't.

I went to a physio and basically she said I strained my supraspinatus and possibly subluxated my shoulder. A movement that hurt was when i tried to touch the bottom of the back of my neck with my right hand (with the elbow behind the back). She also gave me some stretches and 1 strengthening exercise to do.

Anyways, I am now at a point that I can basically do most things with no pain - weighted pull ups, bar muscle ups, push ups and light pushsing exercises. However heavy pressing (heavy for me, that is) or bench pressing can leave the shoulder quite sore. The stretching does help when this happens.

The stretches she gave me were what I assume to be a posterior deltoid stretch (press the right elbow to the chest with the left arm) with the right elbow both straight and bent (two sstretches) as well as a rotational one.

I just started benching and pressing light dumbbells and hoping to slowly bring it up but I'm not sure if this is a good approach.

a little info on me - 20y/o , weigh 220#,

If anyone has any expiriences with this and how I can get it back so I can press heavy I would be fairly pleased to say the least.

cheers ya'll!

P.S picture WFS

Frank E Morel
11-21-2009, 10:02 AM
After a year... its time for a ortho consult and Mri.

Matthew Apostol
11-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Tommy,

I'm no expert, but I can relate to your problem. I've had very similar shoulder problems for over a year myself. Based from the attached pic, I gather that the pain is originating in the AC joint, or the bony "point" on the top of your shoulder. It seems like you've corrected any scapula subluxation, RC muslce weakness or impingement issues you might have had based on the exercises you are now able to do without pain. Perhaps you have have a very minor AC joint tear that is causing the pain.

I had an MRI about five months post injury. The ortho classified my condition as acromioclavicular degeneration. Or in other words, I had a very small tear in the ligament that connects the clavicle and the acromium. Based on his recommendation, I underwent a Distal Clavicle Resection surgery. In a nutshell, the procedure replaces one's AC joint with scar tissue in order to make the joint stronger and more flexible. So far, I am 3.5 months post op and my shoulder is vastly improved. I can grapple again, but I still cannot do dips or bench heavy. Doc says that will improve in time, 6-9 months post op.

Your condition is chronic so I would suggest you see an ortho. Get an MRI done to make sure there is nothing else going on in your shoulder. I would say avoid surgery at all costs, but if you already gave PT an honest try...it might be a good option to consider. Good luck.

Steven Low
11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds like your ligaments at your AC (acromioclavicular) joint ruptured. Either that or could be coracoacromial ligaments.. maybe both. Probably separation of some sort.

I agree with MRI + ortho.

The standard is usually PT or surgery.. if it is what I said.

Tommer Vardi
11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
cheers guys for the replys. Schedualed in for thursday for an ultrasound (which is the best I could get for now) then I'll see an ortho with that and hopefully he'll either know what's up or send me for an MRI.

once again thanks and i'll keep you posted on what's wrong

Tommer

Justin Z. Smith
11-27-2009, 03:13 PM
cheers guys for the replys. Schedualed in for thursday for an ultrasound (which is the best I could get for now) then I'll see an ortho with that and hopefully he'll either know what's up or send me for an MRI.

once again thanks and i'll keep you posted on what's wrong

Tommer

Please let us know,

Justin