PDA

View Full Version : overtraining question

Morgan Somerville
11-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Hurt my leg (worn shoes) a couple weeks back and it simply doesn't want to heal up. Also, my shoulders are sore nonstop this past week. I sat back and realized I hadn't taken anything beyond one rest day a week since this past July.
How long do you take off to fully recover? I was thinking a week but I'm afraid to fall behind. I've got a very important PT test coming up and can't slack off. Productive advice is appreciated.

Katherine Derbyshire
11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Being tired and sore won't help your PT score either. I'd take at least a week.

Katherine

Jon Clingenpeel
11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Taking a week off is not going to be that big of a setback if any. Just stay active (i.e. don't sit on the couch or at a desk all day). Working through injuries can make them worst, so better to take it easy.

Steven Low
11-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Rest until you feel your body is brimming with energy ready to go again. After you're full of energy wait another 2-3 days of rest before you go again.

You may do a warmup everyday but then don't do a workout.. only rehab/prehab work.

CJ Ryan Harris
11-21-2009, 12:08 PM
If anything taking a week off to full recovery will help IMPROVE your fitness.

More is not always better, everytime you work out you damage you muscles. If you do not give them proper time to heal, then they don't really rebuild. Once they rebuild they are stronger, faster better.

Honestly, no one other then yourself can really tell how much time you will need off. If your body says it needs rest, it needs rest. Plan and simple.

Morgan Somerville
11-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Thanks guys. Well I took off three days and I feel good overall, but I'm still going to hold back for a week from running just to be sure the leg is good. I actually had a great deadlift WOD yesterday and went through the roof for my all time high score, so just those few days helped. :)