PDA

View Full Version : OHS - Hand/Arm Numbness

Jade Jenny
11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
So I did a search and found a few threads on this subject. Yes it has happened to other people, but in the other threads no one actually gave any cures or exercises that should help prevent.

Doing the WOD today my fingers and hand started going numb halfway through the 2nd set of OHS. I pushed through and did all 5 sets, but an hour later by fingers and hand are numb still, and my shoulder feels a bit tingly, this is all in the left side.

So any ideas, was a I little off center, are my shoulders too tight, etc. Has anyone had these experiences and found any preventive measures that have worked.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Steven Low
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
1. Foam roll thoracic extension
2. Make sure you have proper head and shoulder posture while doing the exercise
3. Stretch out shoulders with band dislocates
4. Stretch lats and chest
5. Wall slides
6. Nerve glides
7. Massage everything from your neck to your forearms

Kevin Gaasch
11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Sounds a lot like an inflamed nerve root in your neck. If it doesn't ease up soon, you may want to get an MRI to see if you have a slight herniated disk in your neck. I'm going through that right now in fact. Just got my MRI last week. Starting Physical Therapy this week. On my second round of steroid packs. And second week of muscle relaxers. Keep us informed of how it goes. I think this is a pretty common injury. Be good to compare notes and see what does/doesn't work.

James Rios
11-16-2009, 12:04 AM
ive had this exact problem before so i would also be interested in answers as well.
ive asked about it here before. when i did it seemed to be a common problem but no one seemed to know what to about it.

ive tried all the things that steve said and they have helped a lot :)
but now my question is

what are
wall slides
and nerve glides?

Steven Low
11-16-2009, 12:34 AM
ive had this exact problem before so i would also be interested in answers as well.
ive asked about it here before. when i did it seemed to be a common problem but no one seemed to know what to about it.

ive tried all the things that steve said and they have helped a lot :)
but now my question is

what are
wall slides
and nerve glides?
Wall slides you can youtube

wfs scroll down to nerve gliding exercises
http://www.handhealthresources.com/Solutions%20Pages/Exercises.htm

Everett Steinbarger
11-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Pay attention to which fingers go numb. The hand is innervated by 3 different nerves, each with their own distribution. Knowing which nerve is involved will help narrow down your focus.

Median Nerve: Palm of thumb, index, middle and part of the ring.

Ulnar Nerve: Palm of part of the ring and the little.

Radial Nerve: Back of the thumb, index, middle, and part of the ring.

Notice that the ring finger is the only finger with sensory distribution from all 3 nerves.

Kevin Gaasch
11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
That website is great! Those nerve gliding exercises help alot.

Steven Low
11-17-2009, 02:30 PM
That website is great! Those nerve gliding exercises help alot.

Glad they help... a lot of people get tight nerves and think it's something else so it's always worth a try

Charles Sumner
12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Bringin this thread back a bit. 1st post as well, Hi everyone.

Anyways I just started crossfit last week and of course the first time I do these OHS's my forearm and thumb go numb.
Its been 4 days and it hasnt gotten any better. My question is, should I be holding off from working out completely right now?
An injury like this is just icing on the cake since I am working on improving my PFT for the Marines, and any injury, especially one like this could fully disqualify me from getting in.

I will try out the exercises in the link above and see if that helps but I am wondering if I should be getting to a doctor asap. I was also looking forward to a solid 5 days of crossfitting.

Steven Low
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
It really amazes me that it would not be common sense to remove exercises from your workouts that are causing you pain or contributing to an injury condition...

No offense. It's not just you..

Charles Sumner
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
It really amazes me that it would not be common sense to remove exercises from your workouts that are causing you pain or contributing to an injury condition...

No offense. It's not just you..

Well I hadnt planned on doing any exercises that would affect this any further that was a given, but I was talking more like running etc.. Being that this was my first time doing this I didnt know it would cause me any pain. I dont think Ill be doing it again if this has even a remote chance of happening again.