PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Pullup Bar vs. StudBar

Steve Collegio
11-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Does anyone have any information on these? Im leaning towards the Rogue version but wanted to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

Graham Baynes
11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Steve,

I installed one of the Stud Bars for a family member. I found it to be sturdy and easy to install and the price is reasonable.

However, after reading some other posts when I commented about the bar someone brought to light that the SB is not made here in the USA.

I have been reading and looking through the Rogue site at their pull up system brackets both 22" and 30". While I haven't put my hands on them, they seem well built, easy to expand and of course made in the USA.

When I can afford it I will be replacing my homemade bar with the 22's or 30 inch brackets depending on how I reorganize my space.

Regards,
Graham

Scott Ichiiwa
12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
trying to get this going again...

i too would like to know the difference..... im in the market.

wall vs. ceiling mount
construction
feel
strength

thanks

scott

Brian Adams
12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
You'll never be able to do a muscle up on the ceiling mount.

Phil Wood
12-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I have the Rogue 22" pull up bar. It's great for pull ups and just as solid as anything else made by Rogue. Mine's wall mounted and I have a tough time with muscle ups on it also.

Tim Squires
12-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Phil...does the 22" bar provide sufficient wall clearance for kips? I'm contemplating between that and the 30". Any sort of creaking or rocking when kipping?

Luke Hitt
12-27-2010, 10:05 PM
I have the stud bar, and mounted it to the studs on the ceiling in my garage. Took about 30-45 minutes with a buddy helping. It is awesome, I weigh 200 lbs and I kip the Sh&* out of that bar with no problems.

Phil Wood
12-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Phil...does the 22" bar provide sufficient wall clearance for kips? I'm contemplating between that and the 30". Any sort of creaking or rocking when kipping?

I've got a pretty tight kip, and I have no issues with it. If the 30" would have been available at the time, I would have gone that route, as it would probably be a little easier for my fiancť who has a big kip still.

Justin McGinley
12-28-2010, 06:46 AM

22" is very tight for kips. Expect to bang your knees / heels (depending on which way you are facing).

Tim Squires
12-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info. Any sort of creaking or give when Kipling on the rogue? My decision is coming down to the 30" rogue or the large studbar. I will be mounting either on the wall. Opinions?

Matt Payne
12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I have the Stud Bar and love it....mounted from the ceiling .. Love ROGUE also but have never tried their set up.

William Henniger
12-28-2010, 10:56 AM
All of our Brackets are Made in the US with 11 Gauge steel, you are going to pull the studs out of the wall before they move!

You can mount them 360 degrees.

Bill

Zach Doss
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
I ordered 4 of the 30" brackets from Rogue. I installed both units into wood studs using the recommended lag bolts. I couldn't be happier. These things don't move. Very solid, and the 30" gives plenty of room for kips, ring-work, and anything else you need a bar for. Highly recommend. Installation is a breeze.

Keith Martin
12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Last weekend, I installed 22" Rogue brackets on concrete block wall. It's very solid. No movement. I haven't heard any creaks or cracks. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Phil Wood
12-28-2010, 05:33 PM
No creaking on mine. I'm 190lbs. and it's solid. Check the height you want it hung at. The stud bar requires more room above he bar, based on the bracket design, than the rogue bar does.

Garret Wong
09-24-2013, 02:40 PM
I love the Stud Bar Pull-up Bar. It's much easier to install, and perfect for any type of pull-up work, or muscle-ups. The bar itself feels great in your hands, and is the most comfortable of any pull-up bar I've trained with.

I coach at CrossFit AEQUITAS in Vista, CA, and we have two bars installed for us to use. We have about 10-20 athletes a day working out with these bars and they have been phenonmenal.

I would recommend going with the Stud Bar Pull-up bar.

www.studbarpullup.com

Rob Darden
09-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I have both pull up bars and both are very solid. You can't go wrong with either. I will say the texture on Rogue bar is better for grip. The Stud bar has a smooth/gloss finish and can be slippery at times. I have the Rogue bar mounted to the wall for pull-ups and the Stud bar mounted to the ceiling and hang rings and other climbing toys from it.

Peter Schmitt
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I've had the stud bar for two years and its a solid piece of equipment. I've mounted it from the ceiling in our basement. I'm about 200 lbs. so I do put some stress on the bar. Our gym uses Rogue equipment and there is a difference in the grip as noted. I called the stud bar folks early on and they told me to use sand paper to rough up the finish. Although I've done that, I still experience more slippage than when using the equipment at the gym. Other than that, I've been real happy with the stud bar.

If anyone has other suggestions how to improve the grip on the stud bar, I'd appreciate it.

Lance Neumeyer
09-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Just got the Studbar on Friday, installed it first thing Saturday. It doesn't budge a bit - extremely solid. Mark said that he now has the coating he wants on it - it's not slick at all, doing kipping pull-ups no issues.

Very happy with it, would highly recommend.

Mike Doehla
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Just got the Studbar on Friday, installed it first thing Saturday. It doesn't budge a bit - extremely solid. Mark said that he now has the coating he wants on it - it's not slick at all, doing kipping pull-ups no issues.

Very happy with it, would highly recommend.

is yours on the wall or ceiling. I have mine on the ceiling but may throw a few on the wall.

Lance Neumeyer
09-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Ceiling

Peter Schmitt
10-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I wanted to further comment about stud bar quality and customer service. I mentioned in a previous post how Iíve been using a stud bar for the past two years doing pull ups, ring dips, pushups and simulated muscle ups. I weigh about 200 lbs. and the bar has been very sturdy hanging from my basement ceiling. The only problem I experienced was the smooth finish causing slippage at the end of a workout. I had contacted Mark early on and he recommended that I use sandpaper to rough it up. This worked but I did feel more slippage than when working out at the gym.

After reading Lanceís post I contacted Mark on a Monday morning around 845am est. which would be 545am on the west coast. He emailed back within five minutes offering to send a new bar at no cost to me. This was something I had not expected and certainly appreciated. The new bar was shipped that day. Although Iíve only used it once, the feel of the new coating on the bar is much improved and grittier than the bars at the gym.

I am really impressed with studbar's customer service and I thought I'd pass my experience along as you consider purchasing a pullup bar.