PDA

View Full Version : Hip / Leg Pain from squatting, plus stupidity.

Daniel Forst
11-06-2009, 08:29 AM
I had really bad tightness the past week (2nd week on Starting Strength) through what seems like the ITBand (from hip joint down the side / front of the leg) on both sides as well as some minor hip discomfort.

There's been soreness the past few days walking, turning, etc ... and some general tenderness / tightness as well.

My main problem is that during squats (the areas in green on the attached) feels really tight at the bottom of my squats, making it painful to get down to parallel / past parallel. I'm unable, even without weight, to get fully down without it pulling really tight and having pain (maybe a 2-3 unweighted and 5-6 with weight). The stiffness / discomfort continues after the squats and throughout the next few days. I feel like I've been hobbling uncomfortable around every since starting SS.

The stupidity is yesterday after turning / moving quickly to catch a falling air conditioner from falling on my ankle, I had a really sharp pain in my hip which throbbed for the better part of an hour (ice and Tylenol helped). Its subsided today, but still feels a bit sore, particularly when doing motions like trying to cross my left leg over my right when seated. Even when seated, I can feel it (on a scale of one to 10, its 1 or maybe 2). This is the purple area on the attached. I was having a little discomfort in this area prior to this, but I figured it was just a little muscle soreness that would go away. It would feel relatively fine while squatting, but would be sore afterwards for at least 48 hours.

I figure I probably need to take a few days off to see how everything feels, but wanna know if there's anything obvious I might be doing which produces this type of soreness, or if there's anything that I can do to assist in loosening up everything so I can get a full range of motion without this type of pain on my squats.

Thanks.

Mike Mallory
11-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you're just way too tight! You're bound to tweak something if you've got that kind of tension going on.

Foam rolling will help, but I like to just go to an NMT or a rolfer and really get it worked on. The fascia in the leg is hard to deal with on your own, but It will definitely help for you to try. It's an integral part of training, and I can't stress how important it really is

See whats tight and stretch it: IT Band/Psoas/Quads/Glutes, etc, etc,

Why are your muscles this tight?

Are you drinking enough water?
Eating high quality food?
Keeping on top of your stress levels?

some things to think about-

Daniel Forst
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. Its frustrating, to say the least as I just wanna get in the gym and make this work.

I started some foam rolling last night, prior to my little mishap and I'll be back on it again tonight, hopefully get loosened up a bit.

I'll do some searches on the best stretches for the whole hip / leg area and try to see if they'll help out as well.

As for the tightness, I'm not really sure. I'm GOMAD on top of my normal diet, which is something similar to:

Breafast: spinach and ham omlette. Coffee with milk.
Snack: almonds/banana
Lunch: roasted chiken leg/thigh, a big scoop of broccoli, some kale and sesame salad, 1 kiwi, probably about 1.25 lbs worth.
Snack: almonds/banana again.
Dinner: homemade beef stew (stew beef, tomatoes, zucchini and squash, carrots and potatoes), 2 big bowls, maybe topped with a little cheese.

I drink a good deal of water on top of the milk, and I'm peeing all the time and pretty clear.

Stress levels are pretty high, but I think I manage them well, and while I remember one instances where I strained my hip 15 years ago (rock climbing competition where I had to step up to near waist level and muscle my way up) I've been instance free on my hips for a long time.

I guess I'll look into finding a decent NMT or Rolfin place in nyc and see what they can do.

I think I'm going to stay away from the gym, icing and taking advil every 4 hours until Monday. Go back to the gym, take the warm-up slowly being careful of my form (getting coach to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong) and possibly keep the weight the same for a few days while I get this back on track.

I know that at the bottom of my squat I'm a bit wobbly, and I think my knees are coming out a little at the bottom, which I know can stress the hip. I'm hoping its just a result of bad form (which can be fixed) I can untweak myself shortly.

Allan Nathan
11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Have you considered taking some Yoga classes??

Check out a decent Iyengar school.Will help with your flexibility and its not nearly as intense as Ashtanga..

Allan

Thanks for the reply. Its frustrating, to say the least as I just wanna get in the gym and make this work.

I started some foam rolling last night, prior to my little mishap and I'll be back on it again tonight, hopefully get loosened up a bit.

I'll do some searches on the best stretches for the whole hip / leg area and try to see if they'll help out as well.

As for the tightness, I'm not really sure. I'm GOMAD on top of my normal diet, which is something similar to:

Breafast: spinach and ham omlette. Coffee with milk.
Snack: almonds/banana
Lunch: roasted chiken leg/thigh, a big scoop of broccoli, some kale and sesame salad, 1 kiwi, probably about 1.25 lbs worth.
Snack: almonds/banana again.
Dinner: homemade beef stew (stew beef, tomatoes, zucchini and squash, carrots and potatoes), 2 big bowls, maybe topped with a little cheese.

I drink a good deal of water on top of the milk, and I'm peeing all the time and pretty clear.

Stress levels are pretty high, but I think I manage them well, and while I remember one instances where I strained my hip 15 years ago (rock climbing competition where I had to step up to near waist level and muscle my way up) I've been instance free on my hips for a long time.

I guess I'll look into finding a decent NMT or Rolfin place in nyc and see what they can do.

I think I'm going to stay away from the gym, icing and taking advil every 4 hours until Monday. Go back to the gym, take the warm-up slowly being careful of my form (getting coach to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong) and possibly keep the weight the same for a few days while I get this back on track.

I know that at the bottom of my squat I'm a bit wobbly, and I think my knees are coming out a little at the bottom, which I know can stress the hip. I'm hoping its just a result of bad form (which can be fixed) I can untweak myself shortly.

Daniel Forst
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Quick note that 3 advil pretty much eliminates the soreness completely from sedentary activities.

Steven Low
11-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Rest dude.. rest.

Work on your mobility during your rest days.

Levar Burton
11-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Sounds like IT band syndrome. If you have health insurance go and see an orthopedic surgeon so you can get a prescription to see a physical therapist make sure they do massages as well as physical therapy.

If you don't have health insurance here's what you do buy a foam roller as well as the stick the firmer the better, if you can afford it try to get deep tissue massages whenever possible. Believe it or not doing 4 sets of reps of 20 and higher of air squats helped alot. When you start squatting again start really light and slowly start going heavier in order to get your IT band used to weight. Do these stretches shown below as well 3 times every other day for 30 seconds
http://www.getactivetampa.com/Traditional%20piriformis%20stretch.jpg
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/images/it.band.gif

Daniel Forst
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
So the tightness is starting to feel better today, but I'm still not 100%. I'm gonna go to the gym tonight and forego weighted squats in favor going through a range of dynamic stretches and air-squats to try and help keep everything loose.

I made an appt to see a PT this week that does myofacial release and trigger point therapy and I'm hoping that working on mobility plus getting the deep muscle tension worked on will allow me to get back and squatting sooner rather than later.

I really get back under the bar tonight, but I don't want to risk delaying getting back in the swing of things.

5 days of rest so far (working on mobility and foam rollers every day), and i'm hoping another 3-4 more and I can start back with some lighter weights again. I'm hoping that this was more of an issue with overdoing it rather than actually injuring myself, but we'll see.