PDA

View Full Version : Hit Adam's Apple with Barbell

Kevin Burns
10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Anyone ever hit their Adams apple with the barbell. Was practicing squat cleans today and hit my Adams apple going down into the catch. Hurts to swallow on one side. Should I be concerned at all ? Something tells me I'm ok but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Steven Low
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Er, you're probably fine as long as you didn't bust up your cartilage.

How'd exactly did you do this though? I mean, unless your neck was sticking out or you were leaned over and pulled the bar into your throat there should be no way that you can do this kind of thing. Significantly bad technique it seems.

Kevin Burns
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm only a few months in with doing movements like this so I am still very green on technique but my coaches are great. One of the problems I have is that I tend to start my shrug/pull too early so I probably pulled the bar up towards my throat before my body was fully extended so when I came down it just impacted my AApple. It wasn't like I was choking or anything, it just smarted real good. Swallowing hurts a bit less today. If it still hurts tomorrow I'll have it checked out.

Steven Low
10-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you're not supposed to be pulling with your arms...

Good luck!

Veronica Carpenter
10-08-2009, 09:23 PM
come back when you've hit your chin and/or nose on a jerk and your forehead with a snatch. It's all par for the course when learning the lifts - you learn how not to do it again! :)

Kevin Burns
10-09-2009, 08:46 AM
HAHAHA. I can't wait to join the club.

Peter Lavigne
10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
come back when you've hit your chin and/or nose on a jerk and your forehead with a snatch. It's all par for the course when learning the lifts - you learn how not to do it again! :)

Don't I know it. A couple weeks back, I was doing push jerks and smashed my chin with the bar. End result-5 broken teeth all requiring dental work:o
At least the guys in the room noted I could take a punch:D

Caz Berkowitz
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I butterfly kipped my chin into the bar doing enthusiastic pull-ups. Knocked myself silly enough that I started laughing but it wasn't funny.

:rofl:

Sean Dunston
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
I nailed my Adam's apple many times while learning cleans... I did it again just the other day while doing Elizabeth -- hurts a little more when it is a 135# bar and not just 45#.

I've smacked my jaw a few times on pull ups also - usually during Cindy, in later rounds, when I am fatigued.

Welcome to CF!