PDA

View Full Version : Making of Homemade Ice packs.

Frank E Morel
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
I found the need for packs that i can take with in a cooler and since my apt freezer is not that big and a couple of ice trays were not keeping up with the volume i needed. So re useable was a must.

method one.
Need three large zip lock sandwich bags.. the ones with the plastic slider is optimal.
pour
1 pint of rubbing alcohol into the bag. Followed by 3 pints of water. ( just use the bottle so its the same measurement across.
double bag the liquid bag to ensure no leakage.
Lie flat in the freezer..
in a couple of hours... a slushy super cold ice pack. Cause its slushy... its mold-able.
bought rubbing alcohol at the dollar for 79 cents.

method two
1 large bottle of dishwashing liquid soap... yes... but it needs to have alcohol in the ingredients.
pour in one bag .. zip and again double bag again.
Again.. its slushy like a commerical gel pack ... its cost 1.50 for the soap...

I do highly recommend the don joy ice machine... its slick, works well.. just not portable. Bit pricey new.. but craigslist and ebay has bargins... wish i thought about it before surgery... oh well, the thing is great and I have not intention of selling later.

Steven Low
09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
The wonders of freezing point depression! :D

Good stuff.

Aaron Cawley
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
my aunt made a cold/ hot pack out of rice for me. It looks like a small pillow stuffed with rice and works very well. Uncooked rice retains heat and cold well. It can be useful for applying cold or heat to injuries.

Matthew Apostol
10-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info, I won't have to fiddle around with awkward ziplock bags full of ice anymore!

Alec Sean Kellish
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
will try the rice thing!