PDA

View Full Version : Pain on top of foot at ankle joint

Chris Lampe
09-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Recently I've begun experiencing sharp pain on the top of my foot at the ankle joint. This only happens when I'm on my feet, usually for some period of time. It literally feels like two bones are catching on each other and if I slightly change the angle at which I'm standing on my foot it relieves the pain until I go back to that original angle.

I've done some online research and the closest I could find was a possible sprain of the ligaments but I can't recall any injuries to my left foot and/or ankle.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the diagnosis and treatment?

Robert Woller
09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I had a similar experience and it turned out to be a stress fracture. I'm hoping that's not what you got going on because my experience with it sucked. Don't play the guessing game, see a doc before your next WOD.

Everett Steinbarger
09-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I would second what Robert said. There are a multitude of ailments involving the midfoot. The best thing to do is be seen for a complete eval.

Kathy Jewell
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
I have experienced this pain before but I've found that it's with irregular movement (being on a treadmill for 15-20 minutes after not going to the gym for a week or so). I found that tightening my shoes differently helped. Now you haven't stated if this pain is with barefeet, abnormal shoes on (Five Fingers or such non stable soled shoes) or with runners on but this only occurs with running shoes for me. Hope this helps :)

Frank E Morel
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
when you wear boots.... and when you remove them... do the ankles tend to lean inwards from the heel?

Chris Lampe
09-28-2009, 08:45 AM
The pain occurs in both running/walking shoes and barefoot. When I take off my shoes they lean to the outsides and have worn orthotics in the past.

The painful area in my upper sometimes "pops" like a knuckle cracking. It's subsided in frequency so hopefully it was a mild injury that's pretty much healed. If it flairs up again I'll definately see a doctor about it.

Frank E Morel
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM
you may wanna consider seeing a podiatrist or an orthopod that has clinical interest in feet. Your in a big enough city to find someone, you will have to invest in some time looking.
Just take care of your feet, cause when you get older.. the amount of treatment available get smaller and smaller.
good luck.

Steven Low
09-28-2009, 12:35 PM
you may wanna consider seeing a podiatrist or an orthopod that has clinical interest in feet. Your in a big enough city to find someone, you will have to invest in some time looking.
Just take care of your feet, cause when you get older.. the amount of treatment available get smaller and smaller.
good luck.
Most orthos/podiatrists recommend orthotics nowadays which is problematic. :\

Frank E Morel
09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Most orthos/podiatrists recommend orthotics nowadays which is problematic. :\

actually i was thinking that tarsal is displaced or subluxing .. better to have someone who stares are feet all day vs a clinic doc that unless something is at a right angle obiviously displaced, its going to get missed.

Odd how orthotics are so common verses strength exercises for the feet.

Chris Lampe
09-29-2009, 08:53 AM
You know, these posts have gotten me to thinking that this problem may have started when I went back to work after summer break. The one thing that has changed is that I'm now wearing my "work" shoes instead of my walking shoes. I've also considered getting some Vibrams but I have a pretty significant Morton's Toe and I'm not sure I can wear them. I may have to try new work shoes and maybe find a local place where I can try on some Vibrams. My wife's cousin loves his and swears by them.