PDA

View Full Version : WODs without left arm

Christoph Ruepprich
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi all,
i have injured my left forearm & elbow. It will take some time for this to heal.
In particular, I need to stay away from pulling movements, such as snatches, cleans, and pullups. Pressing movements are ok.

I would like some suggestions for WODs and/or exercise modifications that do not require any pulling of my left arm.

Thanks!

Christoph

Ryan Webernick
09-10-2009, 06:29 AM
I was in the same boat. Ruptured my left distal bicep tendon. I couldn't even use it for pressing initially.

I stuck to exercises that didn't use upper body as well. Some people recommend using your good arm due to a "mirroring" effect, but my good arm was probably already bigger prior to injury so I didn't do that.

Once I was comfortable using my arms to support weight on the back squat, I used them alot. I would pair up back squats and situps in couplets, and some times even do one arm kettlebell swings.

I did also do a few kettlebell presses with my good arm, just to keep strength up, but kept it pretty low in volume.

I also decided to embrace running, which I hate. :)

Christoph Ruepprich
09-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Ryan,
thanks for the reply. I am also worried about exercising my good, right arm and making it still stronger than the left.

I do consider doing lots of leg work, since they seem to be my weakest part right now. My squats truly suck!

I'm also going to swim more. I'll have to figure out some swimming metcons to stay in the crossfit groove.

Arturo Garcia
09-10-2009, 07:06 AM
I have been there. With both arms, actually. This particular workout totally destroyed me, I made it up myself unless I'm not remembering where I saw it.

6 rounds for time of:
45# DB snatch with your good arm, 15 reps.
GHD sit-ups, 15 reps.

Snatches from the floor. No need to squat-snatch, just get it from ground to overhead for 15 reps and move to your 15 GHD sit-ups. I felt like dying everytime I did this one.

If you can do pistols, do a lot of them. If not, try working on progressions towards them.

Run... there are several workouts that don't include arms:

-Michael (run, supermans (if you can't do hip extensions) and sit-ups)
-4 rounds for time of 400m and 50 squats.
-400m walking lunge (much harder than it sounds)
-4 rounds for time of 400m run with exactly 2 minutes rest between efforts (MUCH tougher than it sounds, specially the last run(s) will make you find out that 2 minutes is not even close to enough recovery after a decent 400m effort).
-That WOD of 5 rounds of GHD sit-ups and hip extensions (can't remember the reps).
-Griff, 2 rounds of 800m run and 400m backwards run.
-I'm sure there are more.
-If you have rings you can set them at a height where you can do body rows with one arm and include them on a metcon.
-Or do one-arm push-ups on an elevated surface if on the floor are too hard.

You can also make up your own workouts, do some shorter sprints, or hill sprints. But try those snatches I first mentioned, those give me the same feeling as doing Fran or any other metcon that feels like death.