PDA

View Full Version : Please PT, Docs, Massage Therapists... ANYONE!!

Jason Gardner
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
OK, Ive have read everyone's threads involving back issues. I finally got my results back and it's quite a list:mad: Now I know this will just be advice from everyone but I need something.
I've been crossfitting for about a year and have been active forever. I'm 37 and don't wanna slow down:D BUUUUUT..... Here's my MRI results

Technique:
T1- weighted spin -echo as well as intermediate and T2-weighted fast spin echo sagittal images were obtained through the lumbosacral spine followed by axial intermediate T-2 weighted fast spin-echo images. No IV contrast was administrated.

Findings:
The conus medullaris terminates normally at L1-2. There is moderate L5-S1 disk desiccation and mild height loss. Residual hematopoietic marrow signal is noted. Vertebral body heights are maintained.

Disk levels:
L1-2 and L2-3: No central canal or foraminal stenosis on saggital images.

L3-4: There is a minimal cicumferetial disk bulge which causes mild foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis or extrusion.

L4-5: There is a mild cirumferential disk bulge bilaterally extending to the inferior neural foramina. There is moderate left and mild to moderate right foraminal stenosis.

L5-S1: Superimposed on a circumferential disk bulge with endplate osteophytes, there is a right paramedian 5-MM focal protrusion that indents the thecal sac nearing the right S1 nerve root within the thecal sac (grade 1 stenosis) and the right S1 nerve root sleeve origin (series 4, images 38 to 40). There is no displacement of the S1 nerve roots. Minimal facet hypertrophy is noted. The neural foramen sre moderately narrowed, right greater than left.

Impression:
1. L5-S1 right paramedian focal protrusion causes mild right asymmetric thecal sac effacement nearing the right S1 nerve root sleeve origin without dispacement. No significant central canal stenosis.
2. Moderate L5-S1 bilateral foraminal stenosis.
3. Mild to moderate L4-5 foraminal stenosis with broad disk bulge.

:confused::confused::confused: Am a done with certain crossfit movements?
NO more strength bias Back squats, front squats OH squats?????
Sorry for the long post but I need real advice from warriors already going through this ****!!!

What should I NOT do? Thanks for any replies guys....

Mike Mallory
09-01-2009, 05:19 PM
It's not that bad.

action steps would be to stabilize the lumbar spine to halt the stenosis in its tracks, while dealing with the protrusion.

The only thing to NOT do is too much flexion, especially under load. Just stay in extension in all your movements. Definitely no crunches. Learn how to tape your lumbar if you cant feel extension very well.

The protrusion will heal just fine, but it just needs six months or so of not being offended. Flexion under no load is usually OK, buts its best to get it checked out.

I would get with someone who can analyze your SI joint, knows hot to check multifidis stength...AND be able to check your stabilization thresholds during your lifts.

Jason Gardner
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mike.. Can I still do sit ups with abmat? No GHD huh.

Mike Mallory
09-01-2009, 06:52 PM
theres really no reason to, I would forego it

Jason Gardner
09-01-2009, 07:43 PM
theres really no reason to, I would forego it

OK Mike.. Let's just say I'm dumb:D
What exactly should I stay away from doing? I want to take care of this but still stay active as possible. Are DL out? Please fill me in on what "flexion" means for this type of injury.. Thanks in advanced for your advice again...:)

Steven Low
09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Flexion is any flexion of the spine -- aka back rounding

Jason Gardner
09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Flexion is any flexion of the spine -- aka back rounding

THANKS

Jason Gardner
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
One more thing. I've been thinking about extension movements. Would this include back squats, front and OH squats? How about Deadlifts, snatch', thrusters or squat cleans?? I only ask because my back (if done correctly) is in somewhat of an extension when doing these movements. Just trying to work with what I can.

And I probably shouldn't do max anything right? Sorry for asking so many questions but I just need to know my limits......:D

Thanks guys

Mike Mallory
09-03-2009, 05:58 PM
All are okay, theoretically. BUT, most crossfitters being the type to push past form to get a good time...........You'll have to watch yourself.

You should still learn how to properly activate TVA/pelvic floor/multifidis/diaphragm.........and then you're back should be stable.

Once you learn to do that, you can 'test' how much you can lift safely by maintaining activation of those elements with gradually increasing weight. A lot of times people who can dead 5-600 can't even do 2 plates without overloading their abdominal core.

Jason Gardner
09-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks a ton MIke..........