PDA

View Full Version : an immobilization boot suitable for the water?

Davi Cohen
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm a dancer/physical theater performer/yoga instructor/cyclist/lover of many athletic activities and Crossfitter (obviously).

I am currently healing a longitudinal tear in my posterior tibial tendon with the help of a very chic (though somewhat cumbersome) roboboot and crutches. After 6 weeks of dicking around with weight bearing, bicycling, and a ton of teaching barefoot every day pre-MRI (long story), I finally found out about the tendon split/tear and I'm treating it with the utmost care.

Part of my self-designed recovery program involves spending a day at the beach every week and plenty of time shvitzing in saunas. I'm also interested in doing some swimming in the pool (with one of those squeeze-between-your-legs floatation things, which, I must confess, seems a little daunting to me who doesn't swim very often).

Are there any folks who've had experience with this sort of thing and/or PTs who might be able to recommend a particular boot suitable for heat and/or water?

I'm going to consult with my PTs this week, but I thought I'd check in with the Crossfit community too.

Right now I'm using a borrowed aircast that's got quite a bit of foam cushioning on the inside (without which it cannot be secured around my foot and leg).

Is there an ankle immobilization device designed for the water?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Trangone
08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
The only thing I can think of that may help is by wrapping your ankle. It may not hold it as rigidly as a boot, but it should offer a little support.

Davi Cohen
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Kevin. It's not so much support, per se, that I need; but actual immobilization. For the first time since the inflammation/tendinopathy/split symptoms appeared in early July (right before I competed in the Affiliate Cup!) I have virtually no pain in my ankle now that I'm not weight bearing and not doing any deep flexion.

It may be that continued rest (including no swimming) is the best way for me to let things heal, but I thought I'd explore the possibilities.

I'm going to see what my PTs have to say about it tomorrow - perhaps they can point me towards some orthopedic device catalogs. It's tempting to try to construct something myself. :stir:

But it's probably only five more weeks and I really appreciate many aspects of this imposed rest period.

Davi Cohen
08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Also, if there's any reason why this swimming lark (with immobilization, assuming that's actually possible) seems like a BAD idea, I'd love to hear arguments in opposition.

Ultimately, healing this tendon is my top priority. And 6 weeks is not a very long time. This injury pales in comparison to some of my previous ones. I don't want a chronic problem.

Steven Low
08-31-2009, 09:17 AM
Well, as long as it's immobilized the exercise would probably be good.

But yeah, hopefully there's something for ya

Davi Cohen
08-31-2009, 08:09 PM
so far no luck in finding a waterproof immob boot, but I did order one of those squeeze-between-your-legs things

so in a few days I'll be re-learning how to breathe while trying to keep my feet out of the picture :rofl: