PDA

View Full Version : Hanging rings in Garage - Height only around 9ft

Noah Martin
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Right now I have my rings hanging from my pullup bar in the garage. Problem is, the rings are too low to do Muscle-ups..... Ring dips are great however.

So it looks like I need to break through some drywall and hang the rings.
Anyone have any suggestions on ways I can do this without making a huge mess every time I use the rings without just having to cut away a huge section of drywall?

Any suggestions on how to handle this - what is the proper spacing for the rings to be hung and any suggestions on how to do this safely?

My pullup bar is hung directly into two floor joists and my garage is very small :-)

Jack Gayton
08-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I hung my rings yesterday in my garage. I had been working out in my basement, but we needed more space. In the basement, I had them hanging on my pull-up bar, same as you, couldn't really do a muscle-up.

To hang them in the garage, I used a 1/2" diameter steel pipe that was 60" long. I fixed the pipe to 3 rafters in my garage using 3 3/8" eyelet anchors. Went right through the drywall so I didn't have to cut.

Once I found the studs, I pre-drilled so I wouldn't crack the wood. Then, I screwed the eyelets in. Ran the pipe through all 3 and put endcaps on the pipe to make sure it doesn't slip or move around. Threw the straps of the rings over the top and I'm in business.

The anchors seem rock solid. I hung and yanked on them for a while before doing any real ring work. Saw a couple other people on the board had used this method. Hoping it's truly solid.. I'm not much of handy man.

Anyway, I still have to bend my knees a little at the start of the muscle-up, but I have much more ROM then if I had them hanging from my pull-up bar.

Jeffrey Crawford
08-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I took a drywall knife poked a hole and weaved the straps thru said hole around beams and back down the other side...It works well and also gave me the most amount of room considering i have ceilings that are like 8'4. I would assume this is safe but i could be wrong.

Noah Martin
08-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I hung my rings yesterday in my garage. I had been working out in my basement, but we needed more space. In the basement, I had them hanging on my pull-up bar, same as you, couldn't really do a muscle-up.

To hang them in the garage, I used a 1/2" diameter steel pipe that was 60" long. I fixed the pipe to 3 rafters in my garage using 3 3/8" eyelet anchors. Went right through the drywall so I didn't have to cut.

Once I found the studs, I pre-drilled so I wouldn't crack the wood. Then, I screwed the eyelets in. Ran the pipe through all 3 and put endcaps on the pipe to make sure it doesn't slip or move around. Threw the straps of the rings over the top and I'm in business.

The anchors seem rock solid. I hung and yanked on them for a while before doing any real ring work. Saw a couple other people on the board had used this method. Hoping it's truly solid.. I'm not much of handy man.

Anyway, I still have to bend my knees a little at the start of the muscle-up, but I have much more ROM then if I had them hanging from my pull-up bar.

That is something along the lines I was thinking. Any pictures you can show me?

I took a drywall knife poked a hole and weaved the straps thru said hole around beams and back down the other side...It works well and also gave me the most amount of room considering i have ceilings that are like 8'4. I would assume this is safe but i could be wrong.

This is what I was originally thinking but I was worried as I swing around and do MU's and stuff, I'd be always making slightly bigger holes and more of a mess.

Any pics of your setup?
:cool:

Thomas Covington
08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
The easiest and neatest way I have seen is to take a span of 2x6, run it across 3 ceiling joists (perpendicular to the joists) and secure it to each of the 3 ceiling joists with 2 lag screws. Then take 2 heavy gauge eye screws and secure one between joists 1 & 2 and the other between joists 2 & 3. This can be done before securing the 2x6 to the joists if need be, however you want eye screws at 2" thread length to get maximum grip on the 2x6 and therefore they will stick out the topside a touch and will make the 2x6 not fit flush against the drywall until you crank the lag screws down.

Jack Gayton
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's a couple pics from my setup.

WFS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33503690@N07/3831448461/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33503690@N07/3831450455/in/photostream/

Mauricio Leal
08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
The value of being able to do a fully extended dead hang muscle-up in a garage is highly overrated IMHO. I just allow my head to extend out in front of the bar, and start from an L-sit, V-sit, or tuck and have never had any problems banging anything. Of course I don't kip mine either, but even then the dynamic part of a fast tucked kip shouldn't have your head anywhere near the danger zone of a head to bar strike by the time you get it stable and into the dip portion of the movement. I've been doing MUs in my bedroom doorway for some time now, and the only annoyance is elbows brushing against the side sometimes, so not really a vertical constraint in just a 7 ft doorway. For group training purposes and accessibility (running upstairs to do ring stuff in my bedroom doorway isn't very convenient), I did just set up a nice multi-person pull-up bar system in the garage out of 1" pipe and speed rail, and will post pics soon for the interested.

Kulsoom Ahmed
10-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Here's a couple pics from my setup.

WFS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33503690@N07/3831448461/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33503690@N07/3831450455/in/photostream/

Does the bar ever move around?

Mark Cheney
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I did just set up a nice multi-person pull-up bar system in the garage out of 1" pipe and speed rail, and will post pics soon for the interested.

Let's see the pics!

Mauricio Leal
10-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Let's see the pics!

Ask and ye shall receive (http://picasaweb.google.com/mxleal/090908TrainingPics?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPR28ekg-iCFA&feat=directlink) (WFS). Too lazy to sort; there are some good angled views in some of the squat pics.

I originally planned on having only the upper portion with the trapezoidal truss structure to save floor space (unfortunately I couldn't do a simple triangle because Hollaender doesn't make a side outlet tee with the proper outlet orientation). I later realized that it had to go into the ground because, although it was quite sturdy with just me on it, it did not inspire my full confidence when thinking about having several people on there at once. Now it is rock solid, and even if something did come loose (I check frequently) most of the load would rest on the axial ground member, one hopes at least.

All in all it was quite a bit of work spread over about 6 weekends, especially since all this DIY stuff is new to me. It would have been easier if I had more money and just had the pipes cut to the exact installed length, but I wasn't sure how everything would fit, and some adjustments had to be made on the fly anyway. Screwing into the studs behind the wall was also a challenge and not an exact science since it is quite difficult to accurately drill 5" screws perfectly straight into 3/4" wide studs, especially while not being able to see them; we measured the spacings accurately but I think I had a tendency to screw slightly off to the left, which over 5" adds up to more than half of 3/4" I found haha (punctured it out the side several times).

But one cannot under-value the DIY experience, and I am most thankful for all the fearless documented examples that came before me on here. :notworth:

Jack Gayton
10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Does the bar ever move around?

No, I haven't noticed any movement. I check the bolts regularly too. Of course, I'm not putting a lot of strain on it.

Just use this setup for ring pull-ups, dips and muscle-ups.