PDA

View Full Version : Home pull up bars or sub...

Ryan Sears
02-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know of some pull up bars that don't have to be attached into the door frame or leave marks on the door? I rent an apartment and I would like my deposit back. I'm currently working out in my room and would like to add pullups/chinups or body weight rows into my workouts. Should I try to make a free standing bar ( I don't have much room) or just stick with bent over rows? Thanks.

Chris Jordan
02-04-2008, 11:08 AM
What is outside? Do you have a deck, stairs, carport or anything you could hang a pull-up bar or rings from? Playground equipment? Looks like it's warm in Murray.

If I had to choose I think I would pick rings over a pull-up bar. We have an awful lot of fun just playing on our rings.

Ryan Sears
02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
There are stairs but agian there not mine. No trees around or anything. Just apartment buildings. :(

Joe Butler
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
You can hang rings or the Again Faster pullup bar from stairs and remove them after you're done.

Andy Armstrong
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Most of the bars that use a cantilever action and don't need fixing will probably not do any damage to the door frame. Although you just buy a cheap power tower.

Ryan Sears
02-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. Has anyone used a pull up bar with cantilever action? Do they leave marks?

Ryan Kosh
02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks guys. Has anyone used a pull up bar with cantilever action? Do they leave marks?

I'd just mount a screw-in one into the frame and then patch it before you move it. That's what I'm doing.

Jeff Flynn
02-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I'd just mount a screw-in one into the frame and then patch it before you move it. That's what I'm doing.

Seconded, I would thing the lever type is going to wear a groove in addition to taking off the paint. Should be much easier to just patch a few holes.

Ryan Sears
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. I might just try that. Oh, how would one go about patching the holes? :shrug:

Paul Szoldra
02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
try this out

http://www.pullupbar.com/

Ryan Sears
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Have you used these? I went to the web site but I can't figure out how it is mounted or holds up. Does it leave marks above the door?

Jesse Deforrest
02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
The grips are very cheap and will rub off on the doorframe. I put some washclothes over mine which have solved that problem. Ive done weighted pullups and kips on it and it did not dent my doorframe.

Elliot Fuller
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I previously used a DoorGym pull-up bar. Worked like a charm, but if you have softwood door frames, it will eventually leave dents and marks in them. The padding on the supports is cheap and wears off pretty quickly, as some have said (particularly if you're going to try kipping). Kipping can also be difficult because too much upward momentum will easily bring the bar down from the frame.

I've since given my bar to my girlfriend, who isn't as worried about her door frame. Adding some extra padding (like a wash cloth, as mentioned) would probably help this situation, if you were concerned.

For about 4 months I've been using rings for pull-ups. They make kipping pretty difficult sometimes, but they serve their purpose and also rotate somewhat for a more natural motion.

Since you're worried about your frame, I'd consider just mounting one permanently and patching things up, as others have said... or find a place to hang some rings. Rings are something you should get some day anyways, because they have a load of other great benefits, pull-ups being just one of them.

Chris Jordan
02-07-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys. I might just try that. Oh, how would one go about patching the holes? :shrug:

Jump off that bridge when you come to it. Throw mud at the hole, let it dry and sand it smooth. It's much easier to repair drywall than to replace damaged wood trim.