PDA

View Full Version : Another shoulder down!!

Joe Waguespack
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I have just read endless threads on shoulder pain but didn't see anything that sounded like my problem. About a month ago I was working on my squat cleans and the next day my traps and shoulders were a "good" sore. I never felt any pain while working out , just sore the next day. When the soreness went away I had a burning pain in my anterior delt and also where my clavicle meets my shoulder complex.It almost feels as if the bone is bruised. I have gone to my chiropractor and received several ultrasound treatments and he did an x-ray and saw nothing wrong. I have been icing it frequently and pretty much scaled my training down to box jumps,deadlifts, and sprints. It mainly hurts, like a burning pinch, when I raise my arm to the front or bring my arm across my body. If I reach overhead I feel a burn in my front delt and trap. Its getting better but it has been almost a month since I have been able to really train and I'm going crazy. Any THoughts?

Steven Low
12-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Initially sounds like a nerve problem (probably a muscle/tissue pinching a nerve) because of the burning sensation (sometimes it's shooting as well). For example, you can see that most of the nerves run through that area and down under the armpit (wfs):

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/8729.jpg

What is probably happening when you exercise is that something in there is getting aggravated and swelling. The swelling then presses and pinches the nerve when you start raising your arm in those positions.

Best thing you can do is probably rest and do lots of massage (ultrasounds can help) to help push the swelling out of the area.

Joe Waguespack
12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks, all this rest is killing me.

William Hunter
12-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Sounds like your injury has elements of an irritated AC joint, anterior labrum and supraspinatus strain/partial thickness tear (all of which could exist with a normal x-ray). Ultrasound is nice and all, but like Steven said you should really be getting a combination of specific and direct treatments to facilitate the healing process.

Look up Corey Duvall's posts on the other shoulder topics for a good selection/description of proper movements to work on, but nothing will replace a competent manual examination.

Good luck, being injured sucks.

Steven Low
12-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Yeah, if you can try to find a PT who can run a battery of tests on your shoulder to see what's up with it. Preferably one who specializes in the shoulder but all PTs should know them as well..

Joe Waguespack
12-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks a lot. I have an appointment with a Sports medicine doctor on jan 6. I'm just getting antsy without being able to train like usual. It's my first injury in years.

Theresa Meyer
12-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I have just read endless threads on shoulder pain but didn't see anything that sounded like my problem. About a month ago I was working on my squat cleans and the next day my traps and shoulders were a "good" sore. I never felt any pain while working out , just sore the next day. When the soreness went away I had a burning pain in my anterior delt and also where my clavicle meets my shoulder complex.It almost feels as if the bone is bruised. I have gone to my chiropractor and received several ultrasound treatments and he did an x-ray and saw nothing wrong. I have been icing it frequently and pretty much scaled my training down to box jumps,deadlifts, and sprints. It mainly hurts, like a burning pinch, when I raise my arm to the front or bring my arm across my body. If I reach overhead I feel a burn in my front delt and trap. Its getting better but it has been almost a month since I have been able to really train and I'm going crazy. Any THoughts?

I had the same thing in my left shoulder, and the orthopod diagnosed it as tendinitis. It drove me crazy for a couple of years. I determined that there was no real injury; however, the problem was exacerbated by my unwillingness to train myself to sleep on the opposite side. Well, I have trained myself now, but I find that am currently experiencing the exact pain you describe--and I've had already in my left shoulder--in my right shoulder. I scheduled an appointment to hopefully get a steroid injection to calm it down some. No push ups or anything really shoulder-intensive for me for awhile.

Do a search on tendinitis (also spelled tendonitis), bursitis, and impingement syndrome. You'll find a lot of information because it's quite common.

Corey Duvall
12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Theresa: What is your normal sleeping posture?

Joe Waguespack
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I had the same thing in my left shoulder, and the orthopod diagnosed it as tendinitis. It drove me crazy for a couple of years. I determined that there was no real injury; however, the problem was exacerbated by my unwillingness to train myself to sleep on the opposite side. Well, I have trained myself now, but I find that am currently experiencing the exact pain you describe--and I've had already in my left shoulder--in my right shoulder. I scheduled an appointment to hopefully get a steroid injection to calm it down some. No push ups or anything really shoulder-intensive for me for awhile.

Do a search on tendinitis (also spelled tendonitis), bursitis, and impingement syndrome. You'll find a lot of information because it's quite common.

Thanks. i suffered from tendonitis in my elbows before and the ultrasound treatments knocked it right out in three or four treatments. Im worried this might be something more. Just my opinion , I would advise against the injections, it helps the pain but does nothing towards healing. I had them for my elbows and the pain came back a few weeks later. God luck with your injury. Hope we all feel better soon.

Theresa Meyer
12-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I usually sleep with the pillow tucked between my neck and shoulder and my weight shifted up toward the shoulder. I'm certain it has a great deal to do with my problem.

Steven Low
12-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Learn to sleep on your back.... the only good sleeping position, heh.

When I was growing up always used to sleep on my left side and yes it started bending my clavicle inwards so my left is a bit more curved than my right. Kind of sucks.

Russell Mueller
03-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but the problem Joe describes is exactly what's going on with me -- same root cause, too: squat cleans. I suspect my form was crap.

Joe, did your problem resolve and, if so, what helped?