PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pain

Joe Bernard
12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
When i did the WOD for friday, my wrists were in pain during the later part of the workout and after for awhile. This was my first time doing a push press and push jerk (even though i started CF in july...) and at first, thought it was my form because i had not practiced the movement before. Any thoughts?

-BTW sorry for being kind of late on the post, college finals are a pain :(

Steven Low
12-16-2007, 01:45 AM
High stress on the wrists in the fully extended position usually causes an intense stretch to pain. Generally, you can dump a few fingers off the bar in rack if you choose and/or work on wrist flexibility and it will go away.

Joe Bernard
12-16-2007, 12:36 PM
thanks steve, thought my form was off. What exercises work on wrist flexibility?

Steven Low
12-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Use the ground to stretch them... put them facing forward and then lean forward.. facing backward leaning backward, etc. Not that hard. :)

Jesse Emers
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I had some wrist flexibility issues just like you are explaining, and one wrist was even hurting from a previous injury. I found the more I actually just worked through the pain (obviously you know when you should stop), the less pain I had during the next workout. Sometimes I still get pain from the rack position but not nearly as much as I used to get when I started crossfit.

Steven Low
12-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah, If you need wrist strengthening exercises.. get some rice put it in a bucket and then stick your fist in and rotate it around in circles while keeping your elbow and shoulder still.

Jesse: probably not a good idea to work through the pain. Most people don't know when to stop.. (hence a lot of injuries in the injury forum a lot of which are overuse).

Joe Bernard
12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
thanks again steve, il try that out.

Matthew J Tortoriello
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah any kind of exercise that generally works forearms will work your wrists as well. Even just pull up bar hangs for 60 seconds. I also love the weight pinches. Take two say 10 lbs plates and face them together so both smooth sides face out and then with one hand pinch and hold them off the ground for 60 secs or as long as you can. Then repeat on other hand.

Another exercise I do are false grip pull ups. Here is a video of me doing one.
http://xercisefactor.com/view_video.php?viewkey=e5646ef5a30154e9f6de