PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Lat

Ben Chapman
12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been "crossfitting" to the best of my ability and equipment for about 4 months now, about a month ago I came down hard from a pullup bar thinking I was lower than I was. I Definetly tweaked something just below and outside my armpit(it feels like part of my lat peeled away from something) it was painful and debilitating, so I've stopped pullups for the past month, I've tried cautiously to do maybe one at a time, but every time I get the pain again, so I don't even get over the bar.

I guess I'm wondering how badly injured I might be. How long does it take something like that to heal? It ****es me off because I really used pullups as a integral part of my wrokout, kind of peaking out at about 18 in a good set. I feel like I'm losing some ground by not doing them. Any ideas?

25/M/6'5"/245

Derek Maffett
12-12-2007, 12:58 AM
No pain reduction in a month does not sound good. A doctor's opinion might be in order here.

Ben Chapman
12-12-2007, 06:42 PM
It doesn't hurt nearly as much as it did early on, I guess I should have been more specific. I am just still noticing twinges if I try pullups specifically. I guess I'm wondering if I should try to do any strengthening of it while it heals, or if that is just going to undo any healing that's already happened.

Steven Low
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Do you know if it's really your lat? A couple things are around there besides your lat namely your teres major, teres minor and infraspinatus.. two of which are rotator cuff muscles. Not to mention tendons, ligaments and other stuff...

Is it ONLY on pullups?

I would try to see a sports doc about this.. it could be a partial tear of something which means it wouldn't really get that much better after a month without repair.

Ben Chapman
01-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Back to doing pullups with no pain. my numbers suck now, but I guess I just needed a couple extra weeks.