PDA

View Full Version : Handstand/neck issues

Derek Maffett
12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I was practicing handstands when the area around the base/back of the neck started burning. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, but it doesn't happen all the time and doesn't really cause lasting trouble. It prevents me from working handstands, though, and that really bugs me.

I've theorized that a foam roller might be a good step, as well as not tilting my neck up quite so much. Does that sound good?

Steven Low
12-07-2007, 10:17 PM
How far back are you arching your head out? With a good handstand you more or less only want to see your hands or palms rather in your peripheral vision (and you definitely shouldn't be seeing your fingers). Too far and you can get cramping just like you would get with your quads in L-seats... which is probably the case with you.

Derek Maffett
12-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Boy, did I have it wrong. I was looking practically straight down at my hands. Time to go learn the handstand correctly. :o

Victor Putz
12-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Derek--

I have gotten the same thing a few times (sometimes bad enough to cause neck pain for days). Part of it may indeed have been from tilting my head too much (this was in an effort to "touch my nose to the ground"--I've since given up on that and accepted shorter ROM with "top of head to floor" until I get my paralettes back). As I've worked (slowly) on HSPUs, I seem to be able to get away with more, but that hurt well enough that I don't even want to chance it.

If you find anything that helps the pain once it's there, let us know. I tried tennis-ball rolling the area to no avail...

Steven Low
12-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Boy, did I have it wrong. I was looking practically straight down at my hands. Time to go learn the handstand correctly. :o
Yep, popping your neck out too much leads to arching the handstand too.. which isn't that great. :)

If you can get vids of your practice we can critique them by the way.