PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

James Peck
12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Any suggestions on how to eliminate/prevent shin splints besides the typical RICE prescription? I am in a course and do not have the option to just not run. Thank you for any and all help.

Steve Reggio
12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I fought these for a long time. Rest is the first part of the equation but if you don't have that option I would ice the hell out of them, stretch really well (do toe taps to buidl that muscle) and get to a running store ASAP. A lot of times it is your shoes, have them watch your gait and put you in a good shoe. That can make all the difference in the world.

Once you get through this and that is done start to strengthen the feet by wearing the Vibram Five Fingers or Nike Free's for short distance runs- ease into them. This will help in the future.

Also get the CF Journal this month and read up on POSE Running.

Sean Dunston
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I also found that these straps help out A LOT!

http://www.pro-tecathletics.com/products/shinsplints.html

wfs

Jason Peck
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Interesting James that we have the same last name and the same problem (potentially). I find that I am sore sometimes on the muscle on the front outside of my lower leg. Is this what shin splints feel like?

I've been doing toe raises for awhile and strengthening ankles but for some reason I've been a lot more sore in the shin area recently--haven't even increased running drastically or anything?

So what do shin splints feel like?

Jason Peck
12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Forgot to mention that I have begun jumping rope more recently....

Michael Thornton
12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
A buddy of mine is a big runner. He was having a terrible time with shin splints when a runner friend of his said it can be caused by the shoes. So, my friend went to a store that specializes in running shoes and they helped him get the correct shoe for his body. Shin splits went away and have not returned.

Steven Low
12-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Specific anterior tibialis work helps *SOME* forms of shin splints. Basically it's raising your toes off the ground while standing on your heels. Best way to get resistance for this is to put weights in a backpack, sit on a counter and hang it off your toe and do the exercises.

Jason Peck
12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks all. I realized after I posted this that I should have just done a search for this because a lot of others seemed to have dealt with the same issue.

Jason Carriveau
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
stretch your calves a lot and strengthen the tibialis anterior. Jumping rope is a new activity that is somewhat high impact so ease into it. If you get it with new shoes it's because it changes the mechanics of how your foot hits the ground so you Peck's might want to look into orthotics if this has been a long standing problem, good luck!!

Eric Burns
12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
The typical RICE is best IMO.
Good shoes.
Run on forgiving surfaces.
Ice and elevate after every run.
There are exercises that help also, most seem silly but are effective. The alphabet one and the towel with toes have been my staples.

Strengthening Exercises

With a partner hold down the others feet which are flat on the ground. With resistance on their toes, have them lift their toes up.

Sitting with left ankle on right knee, apply pressure to inside of foot (near large toe) with hand, and turn foot up and in, using leg muscles.

Same position as above, apply pressure to outside of foot (near small toe) with hand, and turn foot down and out using leg muscles.

Same position as above, apply pressure to top of foot (near toes) with hand, and lift foot using leg muscles. Repeat with right ankle on the left knee.

Sitting on a table or chair attach a weight (a bucket filled with rocks works well) around the foot. Without bending your knee move the foot up and down from the ankle.

Anchor one end of an elastic band to the leg of a table or sofa. Stretch the band, and then loop it around the end of the foot. Move the foot up and down and side to side against the bands resistance.

Draw each letter of the alphabet with the big toe of each foot in the air.

While standing erect raise up and down onto your toes several times. If that is too easy you can make it more challenging by performing the same exercise while standing on a step and allow your calves to stretch over the edge of the step.

In a sitting position lower and raise the feet with the heels on the ground as high and quickly as possible for 60 seconds. I have athletes do this exercise during the school day while sitting at their desk.

Walking down steep hills.

Walking on toes.

Walking on heels.

Walking with feet turned inward and outward.

With socks off, gather up a towel that is flat on the floor, using only the toes.

Pick up marbles using the toes.

Off-season training. One of the most effective ways to eliminate shin splints is to do some type of running in the off season. An increase in mileage should never exceed more than 10% per week.