PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Muscles

Max Seid
11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
What I thought was a pinched nerve in my hip area is actually a pulled muscle. According to my chiropractor it is my TFL. What really aggravates it is the impact from running.

My questions are how long does a muscle typically take to repair its self? What can I do to help the healing process? And should I remain inactive or is it good to do stationary machines like the bike and arc trainer?

Thanks

Alicia Michel
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Max, how is that hip area feeling? What did your chiropractor suggest? Have you tried going on the bike and arc trainer?

I pulled my left tricep four years ago and left it alone for about 6 months but that did not help. What seemed to make it recover strangely was lifting light weights. However this is purely anecdotal and I wish I could give you some better advice! The only thing I know is that swimming is low impact and useful when injured.

Hope someone with more knowledge will post!

Steven Low
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Pulled/strains generally take around 4-8 weeks more or less from what I've experienced, read about and heard from doctors/PT/etc. The faster you can get back on rehab work once you can get somewhat range of motion without crippling pain the faster it gets back to normal (mainly because of increased blood flow to the area to promote healing). Massages/ART/etc. also help A LOT to help loosen up the muscles, promote blood flow again along with the toxin removal and a lot of other good stuff.

Max Seid
12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Steven, would you recommend doing stationary cardio or to stay away?

Steven Low
12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Probably not.. I mean if you can do it without it hurting then sure. It's good to exercise/rehab a bit to promote blood flow the area. This is really a good time for more "isolation" type work if you can avoid the injured muscles that is which still working the joint so that you can get blood flow at expense of not aggravating the pulled muscles.