PDA

View Full Version : Playing through the Pain

Joe Harris
11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Back in May I seriously FUBARed a dead-lift and felt a sharp pain in my lower back. The pain lasted all summer, but I stayed with it, except for a few weeks in the middle of the summer. I went to the Dr and he said he suspected a Heirniated or bulging disk. Put me on 800mg Ibuprofen and 10 days rest. I went back after 10 days with a great improvement, but still some pain. He said wait until the pain goes away completely and then wait two weeks. Well it has been over a month, the pain is still there and I can't stand it. I'm going back. The weight that I'm gaining and the strength that I'm loosing is worse than the pain.

Am I crazy? Can I play through the pain?

BTW. I got an Inversion table. I've been using it for a week and I think it is helping some.

George Mounce
11-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I recently just tweaked my back a good one.

I've been doing the WODs and rowing 10,000m a day through the pain. Smart? Probably not. Can I do it? Sure! You have to know your own limits. I've been making sure that my form is impeccable and also, even on timed WODs if it starts to hurt I slow down and only go to a speed I know I can handle. Of course I've PR'd both Elizabeth and my weighted pull-ups. So who knows, I do know that if you take care of your back, it will take care of you.

Steven Low
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Making an injury worse (e.g. working through pain.. doing workouts in pain, etc.) will just put you out for longer or permanently incapacitate yourself. It's the definition of stupid.

Strength and muscle come back extremely fast anyway after you've put in the time and effort in the first place. It's best to rest and let your body heal.

Matt DeMinico
11-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Back in May I seriously FUBARed a dead-lift and felt a sharp pain in my lower back. The pain lasted all summer, but I stayed with it, except for a few weeks in the middle of the summer. I went to the Dr and he said he suspected a Heirniated or bulging disk. Put me on 800mg Ibuprofen and 10 days rest. I went back after 10 days with a great improvement, but still some pain. He said wait until the pain goes away completely and then wait two weeks. Well it has been over a month, the pain is still there and I can't stand it. I'm going back. The weight that I'm gaining and the strength that I'm loosing is worse than the pain.

BTW. I got an Inversion table. I've been using it for a week and I think it is helping some.

I've been told from someone who was seeing a chiropractor that an inversion table will make you FEEL better, but usually won't fix the problem (if the problem is you're out of alignment). It'll stretch things out, make you feel better, and give you a false sense of security, but things are still in the wrong spot and will re-injure worse without being fixed.

Franklin Shogie
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM

Joe, it may be a herniated disc or it may have been a severe muscle strain with the associated induced muscle spasms. If it is muscle spasms than ibuprofen won't be of much good. the anti-inflamatories would need to be supplemented with a muscle relaxant to give the back muscles time to recover. typically muscle relaxants are used for 2 or 3 days (upto a week) under the supervision of a doctor.

If I were in your shoes I would get a 2nd opinion about the damage in your lower back.

I have had muscle spasms in the lower back initially caused by a fall from a roof. I have reinjured the back from an improper squat.

Muscle spasms are no fun. It can hurt to just walk. One recommendation from from my doctor wrt to recovery is to NOT lie down all day. It was recommended that as soon as I was able to walk that I do so. The walking helped me alot and within 2 weeks I started squatting again with light weights.

1 caveat: I am NOT a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

Joe Harris
11-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Well, Ibuprofen actually works great. When I take 800mg it feels really good. I'm trying to not take any though, so I can see if it is getting better or worse as time goes by. I went back today. We did a modified Elizabeth and I took it real easy on the Cleans, dropped the weight way down and tried to focus on my form. I think the approach I'm gonna take for now is try to ease back in to it and if I come to an exercise that I'm worried about I will replace it with something else or scale it down significantly, just go through the motions basically. Today went well and I am not having any additional pain, besides leg and triceps soreness. It was nice to be back, but even taking it easy it kicked my butt.

Kevin McMillan
11-27-2007, 03:19 PM
second opinion, talk to a chiropractor, and keep on resting. i suggest doing things such as pool workouts for awhile. when i injured my back at a track meet i was in the pool for 2 months before i did much else. its amazing that by removing your own bodyweight as a factor how much exercise can be done without undue strain. just be careful of over stretching/twisting et cetera.