PDA

View Full Version : DOMS questions.

Edward Han
11-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Been doing Crossfit at a Crossfit Affiliate for a little less than a month now, and I've been getting DOMS pretty much once or twice every week. The DOMS is painful enough that it keeps me from moving around at a normal pace. I usually take two days off afterward to make sure I'm not over doing it. I have full range of motion, albeit it's very painful, and I'm urinating clear, so I know I don't have rhabdo.

I'm used to getting DOMS before when I try something new, but my body adapts, and DOMS doesn't keep reoccurring like this.

Will the reoccuring DOMS ever go away, or will I keep getting this because of the constantly varied workouts?

And is safe/healthy for me to do a WOD when I'm still in a decent amount of pain and soreness from DOMS? Would it be better to just take the day or two off to recover from DOMS? I'm concerned that if I keep taking days off, my body won't be able to adapt and get stronger, etc.

Steven Low
11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Did you scale your workouts initially?
How often a week are you doing this?

If your answers were (1) no, and (2) <3x a week you'll probably have recurring DOMS for a while.

Mainly because (1) most people don't come into CF with an excellent conditioning base which leads to a lot of microtears during high intensity workouts, and (2) low frequency doesn't allow your body enough stimulus to adapt.

This might be a common reoccurance because of other factors such as high carb diet and/or less than 7 hrs of sleep a night.

DOMS is generally fine to work through although it is of not really any any significance (working out wise) and is best avoided.

Edward Han
11-14-2007, 10:31 PM
I came to Crossfit with a decent conditioning base, so I didn't scale the workouts too much. I just did whatever was the WOD for the gym that day.

I would go to Crossfit 1 day on, 2 off, 1 on, etc. (about 3-4 times a week). The only reason I took 2 days off between classes is because the DOMS would get pretty painful, and I didn't want to risk over-training.

So let me just get this clarified. So despite the DOMS getting pretty painful, it's okay to work through?

Oh yeah, diet is good, and I get plenty of sleep (over 8 hours).

Steven Low
11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Eh. It's probably better if you scale for about 2 weeks slowly ramping up the intensity.

And yes, it's fine to work through DOMS although if it's hindering your training like that it's definitely a bad thing. The above advice will get you back without too much soreness (of course depending on the WODS.. if they're Linda, Murph or any other the other killers can't help you there. :)).

Tim Donahey
11-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Some of DOMS can be attributed to lactic acid buildup in the muscles, which can be flushed out through active recovery (or active rest) exercising. Active recovery is a concentric dominant activity that gets the blood flowing through your muscle without causing further microscopic tearing. Good examples are swimming, sled pulling, rowing, biking, or low intensity exercise.

Here's a short article (WFS): http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/activerecovery.htm

-edit: active recovery also optimizes nutrient delivery to the muscles via blood flow.

Ryan Long
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I've been doing CF for 10 months and been very active my entire life yet I still get DOMS once or twice a week. I attribute it to the huge variety of exercise we do here and that's why I love CF. If I'm not sore I don't feel like I worked hard enough. If its debilitating, that's probably a bit much though.

Steven Low
11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Er, DOMS isn't due to any lactic acid buildup at all considering it's flushed out mostly under an hour and gone by a few hours. I don't doubt that flushing it faster can help speed up recovery (from what we know of post workout nutrition), but related to DOMS.. I pretty sure this is not the case.

Active recovery is good though (if he's doing nothing on his rest days).

Tim Donahey
11-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Er, DOMS isn't due to any lactic acid buildup at all considering it's flushed out mostly under an hour and gone by a few hours. I don't doubt that flushing it faster can help speed up recovery (from what we know of post workout nutrition), but related to DOMS.. I pretty sure this is not the case.

Active recovery is good though (if he's doing nothing on his rest days).

It makes me sad to be wrong... and yet I am wrong. *sad face*

Matt DeMinico
11-16-2007, 07:38 AM
I've been doing a WOD only once a week, starting strength one other day of the week, and speedskating at least 3, if not 4 days a week (that's why I'm only doing one WOD/week at the moment, but I'm going to have to bump that back up).

Anyhow, I hadn't done a WOD in like 2 weeks, and went to Hyperfit on Wednesday and did a fairly tough workout (I did the whole O-lift class, with its associated warmup, and full workout, etc. Then I did the Crossfit class, where the very first part of the warmup was "do lunges to the other side of the room, and jog back" for 8 minutes. That was killer in itself even for me. Then basically the same warmup I did for the O-lift class, then a dual workout (max rounds in 10 minutes of 5 pushup, 10 pullup, 15 squat, rest 2 minutes, then max rounds in 10 minutes of 30-lb D-ball: 10 thruster, 15 clean, 20 wood choppers). I was pretty beat after that, yesterday was pretty sore, and today have the typical "I hate DOMS".

I'm not usually one to get DOMS, but since I hadn't done a WOD in a while, I got it (yay).

But to my point, what really helped me feel good last night was a contrast shower. Look them up online, but the basics are after you finish your shower (which I presume is hot), quickly turn the water to cold (about as cold as you can stand, but not freezing so you're jumping out of the shower), hit your whole body with cold water (some people say 30 seconds of cold total), then turn it back to hot, hit your whole body with hot water, then cold, etc... 7 times hot/cold.

Of course, today I'm even more sore, but that's to be expected, it's the second day after, which is always the worst.