PDA

View Full Version : New shoulder pain

Ryan Holmes
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
It's the pain that is new not the shoulder! It seems like the AC joint, but it is actually what feels like the bone just past (distal?) away from the neck. It started roughly when I learned to Kip. From readng other AC stories it doesn't seem like the same thing. It doesnt' stop me from doing anything, just makes sleeping on thtat side and some other things uncomfortable, taking off sweatshirts putting on seatbelt. It soesn't hurt too much and sometimes feels better after working out.....any thoughts? 2months of so hasn't changed too much a little less thatn when it first started.

Jeff Yan
11-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Two months seems like a good time to start consulting a doctor or physical therapist.

A guy at my affiliate recently started kipping and also did something to his shoulder. I saw him working out his rotator muscles. I have no professional or academic expertise in this, but I have a feeling that no matter what your injury is precisely, if your shoulder is bothering you, you're probably going to have to strengthen up your rotator cuff.

Ryan Holmes
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Started doing some shoulder exercises pre-workout and dislocates again after warmed up shoulder pain is gone, or a ghost after only 3 days. Taking NSAID's too, but they seemed to have no effect before I started the exercises, and I had sort of given up only using ice and meds when nit got worse! I am amazed, still not pushing it too much, sleeping carfeully and all but wow!:thanx:

Chris Chaplow
11-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Ryan, that sounds almost exactly like my shoulder. The only thing that I have found that really hurts it is going deep on dips. Other than that it is fine.

Steven Low
11-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I would probably get it looked at by a sports doctor or something. I mean aggravating even more is pretty much a sure way to get impingement from swelling.

Either that or rest until it goes away (if it goes away). Try to get some massages from someone pretty much all over the shoulder, neck and upper back (around the shoulder blade) areas. If you can get someone to do ART on you too that would be great. :D

Andy Wagner
11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Ryan

I have been plagued with shoulder problems since I was in my mid 20's. I did receive physical therapy about 15 years ago to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles and to stabilize the shoulder. What has continually helped me since then is performing the following routine 2 - 3 times a week usually after my WOD.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/265.html

I also perform pushups on a palates ball. This is a little tricky at first but it forces your shoulders to use the small stabilizer muscles in conjunction with your pectoral, deltoid and tricep muscles.

I have noticed that if I stick to this routine, I have little to no shoulder pain.

If your shoulder(s) are not too painful, I would suggest giving this a try for three weeks before seeing a doctor. The doctor is probably going to suggest physical therapy, which, depending on your insurance, could run $30 a visit / 2 - 3 times a week / for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Jennifer Conlin
11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I just had my shoulder scoped two days ago. You really want to rest it, then get doing those R-cuff exercises! I would also get it looked at. Just to be safe.