PDA

View Full Version : Rhabdo after CFing for 5 weeks.

Eddie Clark
10-31-2007, 01:27 AM
My girlfriend was admitted to the hospital yesterday for Rhabdo. What makes this case unusual, from what I have read, is that she had been doing CrossFit for 5 weeks prior. My girlfriend has been working out with Bill Hennigar(sp?) and crew at Rogue Fitness. She took their Fundamentals course which lasted 2 weeks before she even attempted the WOD. And she has been CFing 3-4 times a week afterwards. However she did workout 5 times in 6 days just prior to getting Rhabdo. I think that a combination of the 5 workouts and her confidence in the exercises, allowing her to step the intensity, may have triggered the onset of Rhabdo. Prior to CF she would workout 2-3 times a week doing low intensity cardio and a few isolation resistance machines. I am in Iraq so I haven't had much opportunity to talk with her more about what she did differently this past week.

Here is a brief synopsis of symptoms which prompted her to go the ER:
-Worked out Saturday. Said workout was hardest one yet (her stepping up the intensity?)
-Arms were really sore all day Saturday
-Sunday morning noticed that both her arms from the shoulder to the wrist began to swell
-Arms were painfully sore now
-Monday morning pain just as intense as Sunday and arms were swelling even more
-Monday morning decides to go to ER to get is checked out
-Blood work showed that her CPK level was at 38000+

My girlfriend did have a bout with E-Coli a few years ago which did tremendous damage to one of her kidneys. This suppressed kidney function may have put her at higher risk of Rhabdo also. Seeing as the cause of Rhabdo is the kidneys inability to flush all of the nasty stuff out of the system.

Once I get more info I will pass it on.

Steven Low
10-31-2007, 01:46 AM
Stepping up intensity extremely fast is a sure way to get extremely sore or get rhabdo. Rhabdo generally occurs with people who can push themselves but don't know the limit of their muscles and have a previous fitness background but are not used to doing high intensity. Couple that with your GF's depressed kidney function, and it's not really a suprise to me at least.

Lisa Quinn
10-31-2007, 05:19 AM
Hey Eddie~
How is she doing now? Please keep us posted on her wellbeing and let her know we're pullin' for her complete recovery~

Ben Kaminski
10-31-2007, 05:52 AM
I don't think that depressed kidney function can cause Rhabdo, but it can certainly exacerbate it.

The initial cause is the damage done to the muscles, releasing all of the crap into the blood. This causes the swelling.

The secondary problem is that if too much crap is released, it bogs down the kidneys, which is even more serious.

Because of this, I think it is a good idea that your girlfriend went to the ER, as she might be more likely to experience the secondary problem when others may not. However, I don't think her kidney function played a part in the initial problem.

I hope she sees a speedy recovery. The swelling can take a couple weeks to fully go down.

Keep us posted!

Susie Rosenberg
10-31-2007, 06:17 AM
Please do let us know how your girlfriend is doing. I wish her a speedy recovery.

Susie

Eddie Clark
10-31-2007, 06:28 AM
Sherri is doing good. She is going to the restroom every thirty minutes:) Her arms are still sore and the swelling is about the same. They are also concerned about her B12 which is low.

I told Bill at Rogue about Sherri. Bill says that Sherri has the same competitive spirit that he has seen is his military clients. Like Steve Low said, I believe that Sherri's mental capacity for intense exercise probably out did her physical capacity. She's an animal :D

Thank you all for your thoughts, Sherri and I both appreciate it. The CrossFit Community is outstanding!

I am in Iraq right now, so this is killing me that I can't help her directly. I have given Sherri a link to this thread. I know the encouragement from you all helps her and me a lot.
Thanks all.

William Henniger
10-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Eddie,

I was just getting on here to post about Sherri. Let me tell you something about her, she is awesome. She went through our fundamentals course stretched over 2 weeks consisting of:

1) 5 Personal sessions learning all of the basic movements with a short low intensity workout at the end of each session

2) She came in a couple times a week after that

3) Started getting that fire in her eyes and this last week worked out Mon, Tues then Thurs, Fri & Sat

4) Saturday we did a 6 exercise Filthy 50 workout consisting of SDHP, Light Wall Ball, Donkey Kicks, Box Jumps, Slam Ball, Push Press- Light and Burpees

This matches Coach's description about how this happens almost exactly.

I called Sherri as soon as Eddie told me, I am stuck in Chicago otherwise I would get to the hospital. Troy is going over this afternoon. Like Eddie said, Sherri is no joke bad *** girl. She moved through the workout and did not look that tired. She was part of a 3 woman team. They had to cheer each other on to get the 50 reps before they could move to the next station.

Neurologically she had started programming herself for CrossFit but structurally she wasn't ready. I can't tell you how concerned all of us are for Sherri, I can only hope that she doesn't give up!

She was the one that we pointed to because of her success in grasping the movements and her perseverance through the workouts.

I will keep everyone posted as we go, she has our support. She said that she will be in the hospital for another 2 days. I am telling you this young lady could be a Ranger, she just chose to kick corporate butt.

Bill

Rogue Fitness - CrossFit Columbus
bill@roguefitness.com

William Henniger
10-31-2007, 10:45 AM
Troy just went to see Sherri, to be expected she is in high spirits! She can't wait to get back in and is looking forward to Eddie coming home to train with her.

Bill
Rogue Fitness - CrossFit Columbus
bill@roguefitness.com

Eddie Clark
11-02-2007, 03:58 AM
Sherri was released from the hospital yesterday, WOOO-HOOOO!!!! She was told to take it easy for the next couple of weeks. As long as Sherri heeds the docs advice (this is the hard part), she will be fine.

Sherri Johnson
11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Hello All !
This was my first full week back to Rogue Fitness and I feel great! Thanks so much for all the well wishes and concern. Eddie made sure everyone was in the loop and kept up with my recovery. It was great to see the Rogue guys this week and break a sweat! Rogue Fitness in Columbus Ohio Rocks! and I am so proud to be a member!
Sherri

Sarena Kopciel
11-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Just saw this thread. Glad the fire is still burning and you are recuperating Sherri!

Steve York
11-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Hello All !
This was my first full week back to Rogue Fitness and I feel great! Thanks so much for all the well wishes and concern. Eddie made sure everyone was in the loop and kept up with my recovery. It was great to see the Rogue guys this week and break a sweat! Rogue Fitness in Columbus Ohio Rocks! and I am so proud to be a member!
Sherri

Welcome back! Here's an applicable quote that I'm unsure of the author but,

"How can you push yourself to your limit if you do not know what your limit is?"