PDA

View Full Version : snapping triceps?

Yong Tang
10-28-2007, 05:03 PM
I think I have what is called the snapping triceps syndrome. Seeing my doctor didn't help cause he didn't know much about it, other than referring me to an orthopedist which I didn't have time for. Besides, I read online that many physicians aren't familiar with this and blindly do surgery without assessing what alternatives can be done. I have heard good things about therapy, such as ART, foam rolling etc..My question is, is anyone familiar with this problem (the medial head of my right triceps snaps over the elbow bone when iin flexion), and know of any conservative ways of dealing with it? For reference, I believe it is the result of doing excessive skullcrushers and not paying attention to the health of my elbows. Thanks!

Steve York
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
You may have to see a orthopaedic surgeon to resolve this issue due to the hypertrophic synovial plicae associated with this condition. If left too long, it could cause irritation of the cartilage (chondromalacia). Similar to patella femoral syndrome of the knee.

Yong Tang
10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Hm, well that kinda sucks...I am not familiar with the 'synovial plicae,' is that not resolvable without surgery? Getting surgery is the worst option as of now considering I just started college and rarely go home, let alone squeeze a doctor's appointment in.

It doesn't hurt or anything, I can just feel it roll over the elbow. When you say hypertrophic, are you implying the contraction of the muscle and thus the shortening of it?

Steve York
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
The synovial plicae has increased in size.

Here's a safe article from the American Journal of Sports Medicine that will give you an insight to Posterolateral Elbow Impingement From Lateral Synovial
Plicae.

Yong Tang
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the article, helped shed a lot of light on the problem. Hopefully I can manage for now with conservative treatment, as I am not experiencing any symptoms of pain nor I am using my elbow repeatedly in sports. Thanks again.

Victor Putz
10-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this is what I have; it's a "clicking" on both the down and up part of a pushup or dip near the point where my arm is bent 90 degrees; appears to be happening on the outside of my elbow. No pain involved, just the feel of it. Is that "snapping triceps"?

Yong Tang
10-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Sounds like it could be. It's hard to diagnose without a physician, but in my case I think it was pretty obvious. It's just a more uncommon issue that many physicians aren't familiar with. You can test it by flexing your triceps and moving your arm through the 80-110 degree range, it'll probably feel like a tendon popping over a bone, more specifically where you ulnar nerve is (I don't konw medical terms, someone can expand on this).

John Thompson
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this is what I have; it's a "clicking" on both the down and up part of a pushup or dip near the point where my arm is bent 90 degrees; appears to be happening on the outside of my elbow. No pain involved, just the feel of it. Is that "snapping triceps"?

In my case that describes my arthritis to a T.

I have chondro on both elbows and let me tell you it wears on my mind to be constantly hearing it all day every day.

David Aguasca
11-05-2007, 05:10 AM
snapping tricep syndrome is the dislocation of the medial tricep tendon over the medial epicondyle of your humerus. when flex your elbow, your tricep tendon moves over the small bony protrusion on the inside of your elbow.