PDA

View Full Version : Blood under my callous - what to do?

Jason Naubur
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Doing the Tabata Something Else today and on the second last set of Pullups, I feel a sharp pain and look to find blood under my callous. It is the top of the palm just below the ring finger of the left hand.

Do I pop it or soothe it? Hurts to touch, but otherwise OK.

Jason

Lincoln Brigham
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
If you're going to work grip again hard anytime during the next few days it's gonna rip open. So either avoid grip work until the skin heals, tape up real good and hope for the best, or pop it and tape up.

Ari Sherwood
10-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Pop it, clean it with Hydrogen Peroxide or alcohol, put some topical antibiotic on it, then band-aid + tape.

Steven Low
10-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Pop it, remove the rip with a razor or some type of clipping mechanical device, stick your hand in a solution of salt for about 10-30 minutes. At least that's what I would do as it heals up my rips pretty quick to do work on them in 1-2 days time. :) Beware the salt is painful, hehe.

I suppose you can just leave the rip on to have new skin grow back, but you will have to make do without an intense pulling motions for a couple of days. That would probably generally not work on CF because of lots of prescription of pullups.

Patrick Donnelly
10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Are you talking about a blood blister?

Last time I got them under my calluses, I just left them there... They go away in time.

Gabriel Chapman
10-25-2007, 07:27 PM
If you let it sit a few days, the blood will coagulate to the point of being hard. You could then cut open the callus and remove it, but honestly unless its really bothering you don't do anything. Popping it will introduce bacteria regardless of how much you clean it. Unless the pain is unbearable I'd just let it sit. You really never want to break your skins natural structural integrity. Introduction of bacteria, especially in a gym setting is a bad thing. MSRA is everywhere in gyms.